My Ass is Making a Dent in my Couch

So Friday (that would be yesterday for those calender challenged peeps), I went into the hospital for a little monitoring. All still looking good so it was off to the high risk guy who examined me on his day off in a Rolling Stones T-shirt and ill fitting Levi 505’s. I want to give a quick shout out to my OB who is nothing short of a saint. Her name is Rebecca Perlow and she seriously is a rockstar. I can’t believe my good fortune to have a doctor who actually cares despite the discount they must give to their Blue Cross patients.
Anyway, high risk guy (Dr. Shields) says that things look fine as well. And when I say fine (I was asked in my last set of comments why they won’t let me go past 34 weeks if everything still looks good) I mean that the babies heart rates are strong and not showing signs of distress but baby B is still in the 2 pound range and showing no signs of growth. This means that even if they have the heart rates of Lance Armstrong (Lance, if you are seriously dating an Olson twin I will come hunt you down c-sec or no – that is ridiculous even for you) they are still coming out the second they reach 34 weeks. Apparently anything past that is diminishing returns to a baby who is placenta challenged.
Monday I go repeat the whole monitoring thing again, go to see Shields, who I’m assuming will be back in his Dr. Phil attire and hopefully head home until Thursday.
My friend Shannon, who in my next book goes by the name Crafty Susan for reasons about to be obvious, is knitting my babies some preemie hats. She told me she couldn’t believe how small they were. So, never fear, there is new shit to cry about everyday. But do to my insanely good attitude and the thought of all the good drugs I’ll get in the hospital, I try to keep my tears to a bare minimum. Stay tuned for Monday’s update.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on November 25, 2007 1:50 amUncategorized6 comments

1. Becky said,

That’s wonderful that the babies are doing well, and that you’ve not gone insane. Get some rest, enjoy the couchin’ and enjoy the leftovers!

| November 25, 2007 @ 5:26 pm

2. Surcie said,

I hope you’re being surrounded by affectionate, loving people–to help counterbalance the weepies.

| November 25, 2007 @ 5:56 pm

3. Cheryl Lage said,

Gotta love good doctors, and it sounds like you’ve got ’em.

Will be checking in tomorrow and thinking big growth — or at the very least, no diminished size — for your petite placenta-challenged pumpkin.

Even with her teensy weight, I have to think the additional organ development she’s gotten from being “in” this long is what the docs were hoping for.

Stay optimistic…the doctors are going to err on the side of safety, no matter what. Babies tend to be SOOO much more resilient than we give them credit for, or even dare hope.

Eat, sleep and dent the couch as best you can!

| November 25, 2007 @ 6:00 pm

4. Shannon said,

now I feel bad Stef. I didn’t mean to make you weepy. ((BIG hug)) I am thinking about you and your sweet girls.

| November 25, 2007 @ 9:26 pm

5. gmcountrymama said,

I am glad all went well at your appt. yesterday(day before,now). You are lucky to have docs that care.
    Sorry about the weepies but the hats sound really cute and nice. Still thinking about all of you.

| November 25, 2007 @ 10:40 pm

6. L.A. Daddy said,

I’m glad things are progressing! Grow, Baby B, grow!

| November 27, 2007 @ 12:14 am