Can Someone Please Talk Me Down?

So, I just got back from one of those perinatal in depth doctor visits (I’m 29 weeks) where they do all the measurements. Everything seemed totally cool – baby A is 2 pounds 5 oz. which is pretty normal (I’m guessing) but baby B seems to be only 1 pound 12 oz. Yeah. Naturally my heart started to beat a lot faster despite the fact that no one was speaking in hushed tones or freaking out in any way shape or form. But the doctor said that baby B is small and needs to be watched. I was told to lay on my left side for at least four hours a day (aside from sleeping) and generally get more rest. He said it’s the only way they know to get more blood flow to the baby and help them gain weight.

Naturally, but with no tears, I asked if this was something to worry about and he said “No. But I want to see you in three weeks so I can more closely monitor the growth.” He said this knowing that I have a regular OB appointment in less than 2 weeks. Okay, so my naturally tendency is to worry. But he said right now it’s not necessarily indication of an actual problem.

But, doesn’t it seem like a lot of weight for a baby to need to gain in eight weeks if say I deliver at 37 weeks? Anyone? Beuller? Should I be drinking my weight in McDonald’s shakes or what? I know you can’t give me a professional opinion but I thought maybe you’ve heard of this happening or it’s happened to you. So don’t be shy.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on October 23, 2007 12:41 amUncategorized30 comments

My cousins are fraternal m-f twins and she was, I think, at least 8 ounces lighter than he was at birth. Since my aunt delivered 4 weeks early, the girl had to stay in special care (not the ICU) an extra day or two, but she was fine. She came home and gained lots of weight, and has kept pace with or beaten her brother at everything ever since.

They both grew up to be happy and healthy (not to mention taller than I am!) Your babies A and B will too. I’m not a doctor, but I’m sure it’s nothing you did or didn’t do; it just happens. So only drink those milkshakes if you really want them (and no one can blame you if you do!)

| October 23, 2007 @ 1:56 am

2. Gem said,

My sisters are fraternal twins, they weighed 2 lb together and were several weeks early in 1970, when they didn’t have half the technology available now — in fact, my mom didn’t know she was having twins until the second one popped out. Your babies will be fine!

| October 23, 2007 @ 2:27 am

3. Misty said,

This often happens with twins, one takes more nutrients than the other for some reason while in the womb. My best friend went through this. All babies usually gain the most weight at the very end though, sometimes up to a pound a week! Just get the rest the doctor describes (I spent 3 months on bedrest and still delivered 2 months early, and it wasn’t even with twins) and everything should be fine.

| October 23, 2007 @ 2:29 am

4. MereCat said,

Seriously. Tons of ice cream. The babies consume almost everything you eat. I shoveled in the ice cream, and they sucked it right out of me. I’m not kidding. Ice cream will do the trick. It worked for mine!

| October 23, 2007 @ 3:01 am

5. Suzy said,

I don’t know nothin’ ’bout birthin’ no babies BUT GOD YOU REFERENCED FERRIS BEULLER so you are my GOD.

| October 23, 2007 @ 4:52 am

6. Jenee said,

You are so stupid and have no business being a mother. All your weight gain is going to your thighs instead of your babies. And you’re not the slightest bit funny.

| October 23, 2007 @ 5:02 am

7. Jenee said,

Ohhh, I thought it said “Can someone talk down to me.” Yeah, nevermind.

| October 23, 2007 @ 5:03 am

8. Lil Mouse (Jill) said,

jenee i hope you know BOB or you just seriously F/d with a pregnant woman. what the hell? i dont have any opinion. are you eating what the doctor told you to? go ahead and call the nurse. he/she will talk to the doctor and get back to you. then you’ll know. feel free to freak out if you want, but you might as well have an educated freak out BOB.

| October 23, 2007 @ 12:14 pm

9. Swistle said,

I think eating a ton really does help: as much meat and milk and nuts as you can. Stuff it in. I ate until I could eat no more, and had nice big twins, and the weight came off after. GO EAT. Pack it in. Ice cream. Snickers. Hamburgers. Chicken salad sandwiches. Cottage cheese. Chocolate milk. Mixed nuts.

Also rest. My OB said the “don’t stand when you can sit, don’t sit when you can lie down” thing.

They do gain a lot of weight in the last weeks. I remember those week-by-week things, the babies kind of mess around gaining a few ounces here and a few ounces there–and then suddenly it’s half a pound a week. In eight weeks the babies could gain four pounds each, which would make them nice-size twins.

Your babies are only 9 ounces different from each other. If they gained at the same rate from here on out, a 9-ounce birth weight difference would be nothing. My twins were 14 ounces apart at birth. It made no difference in their health or appearance, and now the smaller baby outweighs his twin by pounds.

I know, I know: 9 ounces at 29 weeks is a much bigger percentage difference than 14 ounces at birth. I would be totally freaking out, too. But I really do think it will be fine, especially since it sounds like your doctor is On It just in case.

| October 23, 2007 @ 1:03 pm

10. Swistle said,

Oh! Also, I forgot to say that my singleton babies varied a lot in weight, too. So if your twins are fraternal, it’s likely they’d be different sizes even if they were getting exactly the same nutrients in the womb.

Is any of this helping yet?

| October 23, 2007 @ 1:04 pm

11. mpotter said,

well, i can’t say from any experience, but i think you and the babies will be fine.

i also have read that they gain most of their weight at the end. i know those sound like small numbers, but with the doctor’s instructions, it sounds like you’ll be giving them lots of chance to grow.

i was a single birth myself, but at 4lb 4oz, i grew up to be just fine. and i believe my mom delivered me at 37 weeks too.

y’all will be fine. and i think this will be a great opportunity for you to rest as much as you can.
    maybe you can get a butler.

| October 23, 2007 @ 1:13 pm

12. gmcountrymama said,

Sorry to hear you are having these worries. Yes, eat lots of McDonalds milkshakes. I had a large vanilla after each of my prenatal doctor apts whether the doc said I was getting too fat or not!
    This seems to be a common thing that happens to twins. Babies do gain most of their weight in the third trimester.Do what your doc says and lie on your left side. And have hubby and daughter #1 go and get you those milkshakes and other food and maybe rent you some movies and get you some books…bring you the phone…

| October 23, 2007 @ 3:32 pm

13. Stefanie said,

Thanks to everybody who’s weighed in so far. I guess I just can’t quite visualize how a baby is going to go from 1 pound 12 oz to 5 pounds or more in a matter of 7 or 8 weeks. And I feel frustrated that there’s not a lot I can do. The doctor said he wanted to see me in three weeks (which is early cause I see my regular OB as well) but the earliest appointment they had was for 3 1/2 weeks which feels like I’ll be so far along! Anyway, I just hope it’s not all the cocaine I’ve been snorting on top of the cigarettes. I haven’t heard any real data on these drugs as to the weight of a fetus so I won’t worry.

| October 23, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

14. dana said,

I can’t remember the old adages I was told about babies gaining weight during pregnancy. I heard a pound a week at one time and then 6 oz. a week. I really think your doctor is on the right track, nothing to worry over, but definitely worth monitoring to give you peace of mind!

| October 23, 2007 @ 11:27 pm

15. Candace said,

I heard a pound a week in the last coupla months too.
    here is my advice.
    lay off the crack. just for a little. but start hitting the bong. It will make you very hungry for highly caloric foods. Trust me on this. I am eating fruity pebbles and peanut butter as I write these very words.
    Have you backed away from the ledge yet?

| October 24, 2007 @ 12:52 am

16. Christine said,

My daughter was not gaining weight “normally” in utero. I ate everything in sight. I gained 80 lbs. She still came out full term and had to be rounded up to six pounds.

So, go with the four hours of bedrest, as opposed my approach, which included four months of a constant flow of Ninfa’s green sauce.

| October 24, 2007 @ 12:56 am

17. Christine said,

Don’t listen to Candace; the cocaine is good for the babies. It toughens up their immune system.

Seriously, as others have stated, it is very very common for one twin to be larger. But you’re wrong…there is something you can do. Lay in the left side (or right, whatever your doc said). It might sound like a little thing but it can make a HUGE difference. The li’l one is probably is such a position that the umbilical cord is getting a bit squished…gravity will go a long way towards increasing the flow of nutrients to BB.

The weight difference isn’t extreme…eat a ton and lay around per doc’s orders and things will be fine.

| October 24, 2007 @ 2:03 am

18. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said,

Eat and remain calm. Relax as much as possible. Being bored at home is much better than being in the hospital on bedrest.

Trust me on this one.

The doctors will watch them. Nothing is easy at the end of a twin pregnancy.

When mine were born (at 34 1/2 weeks) Ian weighed 6 lbs. 8 oz. and Claudia weighed 4 lbs. 13 oz. They had only been measuring ounces apart in the sonograms.

Now they are almost the same size. They go back and forth between who is taller.

Take it as easy as possible. I know you don’t believe it now, but this is the easy part.

| October 24, 2007 @ 10:08 pm

19. Lisa said,

Babies definitely gain the bulk of their weight in the third trimester. My daughter measured 5 pounds at 33 weeks and came out 10 (!) pounds at 39 weeks.

| October 25, 2007 @ 1:30 am

20. Tuesday Girl said,

My twisn were weighing very closely all through my pregnancy. I delivered at 39 weeks and they happened to be more then 1lb apart (which my doctors told me if they really knew, would make them monitor me more)they were a healthy 7lbs 1 oz and 8lbs 2 oz at birth. They are still 1lb apart 4 years later.

| October 25, 2007 @ 3:01 pm

21. Cheryl Lage said,

Girl I just sent you a monster email…but keep reading all these responses over and over. All three of you will all be fine.

Milkshakes are good, but the McDonald’s double chesseburgers (2 for $2) with their two succulent patties and their two savory slices of cheese…to my view all those twos were a sign from God for twin mamas.

From appointment to appointment estimations on the babies vary like crazy, each tech has a method, each machine its idiosyncrasies…each week each baby is positioned differently…

Befriend your left side and the remote control. I watched a LOT of Maury late in the pregnancy and I think that helped too. Just the visuals of the gargantuan babies motivated those in utero.

(As was said earlier, late weight gain is huge…all the energy used to develop all those organs early on now just goes to fat. Let ’em do it now! Mmmm….cheeseburgers…)

| October 25, 2007 @ 6:03 pm

22. Catwoman said,

Have you tried Nutella? It’s even tastier licked from a spoon while lying down on your left side.

I kind of lived off the stuff when I was pregnant (that and McDonald’s Happy Meals with an extra order of fries) and I had a nice 5 lb 15 oz baby.

And he might not be the biggest kid, but he’s funny as hell, which comes in a lot more handy, if you ask me.

| October 25, 2007 @ 9:02 pm

23. emily the mom said,

One of my (fraternal) twins was always smaller (in utero) than the other by at least a half pound. I had them by c-section at 36 1/2 weeks and they were 5 pounds 2 ounces and 4 pounds 12 ounces.

Turns out Cash, my smaller twin had the umbilical cord around his neck and that is what caused his slower weight gain. But they were perfectly healthy when born and are still perfectly healthy and now are exactly the same size. As Long as your docotr is paying close attetion I think you will be fine!

I ate a McDonalds hot fudge sundae every day myself. And like others here have said they will probably gain alot in the next few weeks!

| October 25, 2007 @ 10:54 pm

24. Jenny said,

I once gained 20 pounds in 8 weeks so I’m sure it can be done.

Of course, it’s not really the same.

Never mind. I’ll just sit here quietly and nod.

| October 31, 2007 @ 5:19 pm

25. whatthef*ck said,

mabbar

| November 1, 2007 @ 10:21 pm

26. whatthef*ck said,

mabbar?

i did not say that. blogger sucks. heres what i said. thank god i copied it first because i know that blogger is so damn stupid.

i dont know anything about twins or sensible weight gain strategies but i am here to say, loud and clear, DONT GET THE HAIRCUT. jesus i hope you didnt do it already. that haircut is high-maintenance and i assure you, you will not even want the friggin’ UPS man to see you unless you’ve stuck your head in the sink at least. been there. it wasnt pretty.

i’m happy to find your blog. i’ve recently moved from blog residence in deadbabyland and i am trying to find a niche. your books ound good. i imagine you were a fan of the “three martini playdate” or is it tacky to bring up the competition?

how ’bout an update already? just because this is the first time that i’ve seen your blog doesnt mean i cant dish out a little shit. i hope things are going well.

| November 1, 2007 @ 10:26 pm

27. Julie said,

Hey.

Where are you?

Love,
    Julie

| November 2, 2007 @ 2:48 am

28. pippa said,

Hope all is okay, since I haven’t seen an update, and I’m a wicked lurker, but I wish doctors wouldn’t get their panties in a knot over u/s. They aren’t exact. I’ve known folks who delivered babies who were over three POUNDS different than what the doctors thought. Shoot… I had one doctor tell me the baby was going to be TINY (hello… NINE POUNDS). It’s an inexact science.

| November 7, 2007 @ 3:53 am

29. The Mommy Blawger said,

Protein, not sugar! Lots and lots of protein:

| November 8, 2007 @ 6:24 am

30. Melissa said,

First off, LOVE your blog!

I gave birth the m/f twins this past May 22nd at 37 weeks after bedrest since 3/14. My daughter (Baby A) was 6 lbs and my son was only 4.8 lbs. He did spend 2 days is NICU only due to the fact he was light and wouldn’t take a bottle right away (not until he passed meconium, sorry if too much TMI). But after that he was right in my hospital room for the rest of the stay with his sister. He came home with us weighing a whopping 4 lbs 9 oz.
    Flash forward to my 5 month olds.. He outweighs his sister by almost a full pound.
    I was told all babies develop at different rates and not to be too concerned since ,ost of the weight gain happens in the last few weeks.
    Side note: I drank 3 carnation breakfast drinks a day (addicted).
    Best of luck to you and your little ones!

| November 9, 2007 @ 5:08 pm