Anorexic I Ain’t

So I went to my OB yesterday for the 26 week check-up and for the first time I was feeling okay (not ecstatic) and assumed I’d be back in the normal (whatever that really is) range of weight gain. HA HA HA HA HA. This time I gained NINE pounds. The doctor wondered if it could be a blood sugar problem and decided to wait until the results come back from the glucose test before she sends me to be a contestant on The Biggest Loser. I’d love nothing more than to blame it on faulty blood. But, it’s called faulty self control. So as of yesterday, I’m attempting to eat healthier. Now, once and for all, is or isn’t banana pudding considered health food? I’m going to go ahead and make the call that it is. And please, you don’t want to debate a pregnant woman on this. My doctor also asked me if I was exercising and I almost laughed – except that laughing already makes me pee a little bit. I said, “no” and she said, “not at all? Not even walking?” And I said, “no, not even walking.” She just kind of looked at me. What is there to say to that? There was a time when I would’ve lied. What happened to that girl who cared what people think?

In other news, I’ve been contacted by the local chapter of Mom of Multiples. I know this would probably be a good thing but, I’m so not a joiner. I hear words like committee and VP of Hospitality and my butt clenches up. These people have “get acquainted teas” and board meetings. I was never in a sorority nor have I ever offered to helm any neighborhood fundraisers. How can I get people to just bring me shit without having to do anything in return? Oh well, a girl can dream.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 29, 2007 3:36 pmUncategorized15 comments

1. Swistle said,

Way for the OB to make you feel like the weight gain was because you’re lazy!

I gained like a mutha (as it were) while pregnant with the twins, and then lost 50 pounds the first week after they were born. THEN the OB agreed that quite a bit of the weight MAY have been water. (HELLO, I was practically LEAKING out my PORES.)

| October 2, 2007 @ 1:41 am

2. Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Banana pudding is SO healthy! Hello–banana=fruit. Fruit=healthy. Have 2.

| October 2, 2007 @ 2:50 am

3. momomax said,

not that I was ever pregnant with multiples, but I always gained enormous amounts of weight whether or not I was eating an entire batch of rice kripy treats.

I just watched this family on the learning channel or one of those channels where they were documenting a family with twins…and a set of sextuplets. I would recommend watching that to see how petite you are compared that momma.

| October 2, 2007 @ 3:26 am

4. Cheryl Lage said,

Girl, you’re gestating TWINS!
    Isn’t that exercise enough? Fargin’ A, I remember getting winded lifting my fork to my mouth!

I second Swistle’s weight loss post-plural partum experience—

Plus, toward the end of the dual residency in utero, you may actually LOSE weight (I did, and know lots of other twin mamas who have too…)

For now, you pack it in and on—and enjoy it!

(Interestingly enough, banana cream pie was the last thing I ate before the delivery room ice chip banquet…mmmmmmm….you puddin’ up, Pumpkin!)

| October 2, 2007 @ 3:52 am

5. Stefanie said,

You guys are so sweet! But Swistle, I don’t think 50 of it will come right off considering it’s not the water I’m having too much of, it’s the ice cream…and pudding. But I’m not going to stress over it too much. See if you all still think it’s all good when I post a picture. But I may leave my ass to the imagination.

| October 2, 2007 @ 4:01 am

6. iheartchocolate said,

9 pounds o’ baby(babies), that’s all that is…

| October 2, 2007 @ 3:10 pm

7. gmcountrymama said,

My doctor asked me the same question about exersise last week at a checkup. (I was complaining of my weight, not pregnant, no excuse weight) I answered truthfully also “no I am not exercising or watching what I eat. so what can YOU do for me?”
    I can’t wait to see a picture, I am sure you look gorgeous!

| October 2, 2007 @ 3:33 pm

8. Carey said,

I second that bananas are fruit, so banana pudding must be healthy!! I love banana pudding – I need to get my hands on some myself.

| October 2, 2007 @ 3:53 pm

9. Dawn said,

Banana pudding is healthy – hey, you’re pregnant! And with twins – so your OB should let up on the whole weight gain/lack of exercise crap. He or she should be happy that you are resting, since you have two babies in there. geez!

My OB was also a weight Nazi (aren’t they all like that?). I was only pregnant with a singleton, but man, she made me feel bad for each pound I gained over 15 lbs, and reminded me that some women run MARATHONS while pregnant. (yes, she really did say that.)

And I feel ya about not being a joiner. I wish you luck with that. Maybe you can lie and say you’re on bedrest, so they’ll bring you stuff? :)

| October 2, 2007 @ 5:14 pm

10. MJ said,

I’d say that banana pudding was healthy. Banana is a fruit; pudding is made with milk. Two imporant fod groups covered right there. I have a recipe for chocolate pudding that’s healthy too. Eggs, milk, and–my personal favourite of the food groups–chocolate.

I didn’t exercise at all throughout my twin pregnancy…unless you count walking to the car and everything was just fine. Luckily, my OB never asked me that annoying question.

| October 2, 2007 @ 8:11 pm

11. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said,

Mothers of Multiples understand. They don’t expect you to do anything for at least a year.

| October 2, 2007 @ 9:48 pm

12. Candace said,

don’t join anything (unless it’s netflix) no matter how hormonally tempted you might be!
    Also, I think it’s easier to lose a LOT of weight instead of just a little….
    (I just made that up-but it works on the biggest loser)

| October 3, 2007 @ 1:29 pm

13. Catwoman said,

If the committee makes you clench up, could it be the solution to the escaping pee problem?

Worth considering. If not, then at least it would be fantastic material for future book and blog!

| October 3, 2007 @ 4:40 pm

14. Shelley said,

Hi!
    I just found your blog through…well hell, I don’t know how I got here, but I’m glad I did. The non-joiner portion of this post made me laugh, because I am so the same way. When they ask for volunteers, I hide behind other people. I read some back posts, and can’t wait to read about adventures with twins. Better you than me. 😉

| October 18, 2007 @ 7:51 pm

15. Shawn said,

Hey Stef,

I wouldn’t worry about the weight gain too much … don’t stress. Just eat as best as you can. Extreme thirst, though, could be a sign of GD. I had it and it wasn’t the end of the world. In fact, I ended up eating more on that diet than I was before I was diagnosed. Sometimes I had to eat when I wasn’t even hungry!!!!! Horror of horrors!

As for Moms of Multiples … if it’s anything like the one near me run fast, run hard, and don’t look back. : )

Go ahead and stock your freezer with those Lean Cuisine-type meals and save your cash for take out. Delivered meals are nice, but not when your hungry enough to eat the oven during the half hour it takes to heat them up! Besides, with twins, you only have 20 minutes to eat, shower and go to the bathroom.

| October 21, 2007 @ 5:56 pm