Babies On Bored

Yes, you read the title correctly. Okay, here it is. The thing that’s been on my mind. The thing that’s been driving me half insane with worry, with joy, with hormones. I’m knocked up – with twins. Twin girls to be exact. Can you believe it? Spontaneous twins. I’m 13 weeks along and just starting to feel less sick. I’m still tearing up inappropriately but how much of that is due to hormones and how much is due to HAVING TWINS I can’t be sure.

Jon and I decided approximately 3 and a half months ago to go for number two and apparently it took right away so we had very little time to take in the idea of a new addition. Then the beginning of this pregnancy was fraught with spotting and intense morning sickness. My OB told me the pregnancy didn’t look good. I changed doctors. But at week 8 I had a major bleed and ended up in the ER where we found out that not only didn’t I lose the pregnancy but there were two in there. Needless to say we were shocked. And no, twins don’t run in our family and yes, I’ve heard that at 40 you are likely to drop two eggs when you ovulate but I’ve also heard it’s still pretty rare to conceive twins naturally.

Later when I went for the CVS considering my “very advanced maternal age” although not as advance as Nancy Grace, hello 47 with twins, I was told I’d started out with triplets and lost one. So mystery bleeding solved.

How am I feeling? Exhausted, overwhelmed and worried that I’m going to have to buy a minivan. I wasn’t at all sure I even wanted two kids let alone three so this has been a bit jarring. On the other hand, it’s an opportunity to rise to the occasion. I wasn’t sure I wanted one child and now I can barely look at my daughter without tearing up at how beautiful she is and how much better my life is with her in it. So maybe it will just be that much more lovely to have three girls!

In the interest of full disclosure, I can’t say that I was happy to hear it was twins. I felt pure fear. But what are you going to do? Life is about the unexpected. If anyone has any good advice for dealing with three kids, I’m open to it. But, now that everything’s okay, I’m getting a teesy bit excited!

Let the name hunt begin.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on July 3, 2007 8:50 pmUncategorized72 comments

1. Denise said,

I am so happy to have the first comment!! As I have been telling you all along, you will be a spectacular twin mommy, just as you are a spectacular singleton mommy! As for names, what’s the question? Denise, and whatever else you want sounds just fine with me. But run it by me just in case……

| July 3, 2007 @ 9:55 pm

2. Danny said,

Steph, you little hussy! Phenomenal news! A few things:

1) Holy shit!
    2) Thou shalt not compare thyself to Nancy Grace ever again. That bitch is a hag, you’re not. Coppice?
    3) I’m willing to pay you well into the three figures if you name one of the twins dadgonemad.com.

Text me.

| July 3, 2007 @ 10:21 pm

3. Karen Rani said,

Congrats!

I insist you call the 2nd twin vodkarella.com.

I pay more than Danny.

| July 3, 2007 @ 10:37 pm

4. Carey & Steph said,

Congrats on the twins! Now you have the joy of picking out two names (as if one isn’t hard enough!). My vote is for anything like Hope & Faith, April & May, Music and Lyric (oh wait, that’s a movie, right??) but seriously, pick something cheesy to torture the kids with… isn’t there some rule that twin names must somehow rhyme or otherwise be catchy? Oooh… Heaven & Nevaeh!! It’s perfect!! Come on… you know you love it!

| July 3, 2007 @ 10:53 pm

5. Lisa said,

Delurking to say congratulations!

Join a twins club. You’ll get lots of support for those “oh crap” moments that will come.

Twins are great, though that could be the memory loss I have from their infancy. Just kidding. Congratulations. You’ll do great!

| July 3, 2007 @ 11:29 pm

6. Carla said,

Congratulations!! Wow! The shock will wear off and everything will fall into place. For now, grow those beautiful girls!! I’m partial to the name Carla.

| July 3, 2007 @ 11:39 pm

7. KTP said,

Who’s Nancy Grace?

| July 3, 2007 @ 11:43 pm

8. Yellow Fence said,

Congrats!!! But seriously, enough with the Nancy Grace talk… I just threw up a little in my mouth!

Shannon

| July 4, 2007 @ 12:05 am

9. Suburban Oblivion said,

Congrats!!!!!

How to deal with 3 kids? Alcohol. Copious amounts of alcohol.

Works for me.

| July 4, 2007 @ 12:31 am

10. Shelly said,

Way to be an over achiever! Congrats!!! & you could totally kick Nancy Grace’s ass any day.

| July 4, 2007 @ 12:40 am

11. Laural Dawn said,

Ahhhhhh!!!!
    Sooooooo exciting.
    I would be absolutely petrified if I heard I was having twins. But, good for you!!!
    My dad always said that if he had twin girls he would call them Melody and Harmony (he taught music). Thankfully I’m not a twin.
    So exciting :)

| July 4, 2007 @ 1:03 am

12. Jenn said,

NOW can I say we officially broke the story on Mommybloggers?! Ha! We never said you were joking. We just let people THINK you were. So sneaky! *grin* Well, granted, that twin thing was a twist, but now I can go yippee and yahoo and not pretend to not know why you are a hormonal…I mean wonderfully glowing woman!

I am thrilled for you, my friend! So very, very happy.

| July 4, 2007 @ 1:13 am

13. Shawn said,

There is a saying among twin moms that goes something like, “God doesn’t give you anything you can’t handle.” I’m not much of a believer in such things, but I’m pretty certain that She wouldn’t give ME something I couldn’t handle. I do handle it fine … just check out my current post. And, like you, I’ve done it all alone with just the Hubs. It is possible, you just have to be creative and have a lot of sunshine coming out your ass. : )
    Twin girls are the coolest, too. I love watching them grow up. Congrats … again.

| July 4, 2007 @ 1:58 am

14. dana said,

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! This is so great!

| July 4, 2007 @ 2:22 am

15. SUEB0B said,

Hee hee…I feel so privileged to have known your secret!

Congratulations again.

| July 4, 2007 @ 3:06 am

16. Julie said,

Ho. Lee. Shit. I mean that in the nicest possible way!

Can’t wait to read your take on pregnancy. And to see pictures of you in a big maternity smock with a giant pastel bow just south of the tits.

Do not disappoint me.

| July 4, 2007 @ 3:13 am

17. momomax said,

congratulations!

on names…how about dakota and coco. you’re going to be famouser now that everyone’s talking about your big news – you need borderline bizarre babygirl names to fit your celebrity writer bill.

just remember, no matter how hormonal you get, you’re a rock star….ooh, how about moon and bean? moon bean. k. I’m done.

| July 4, 2007 @ 3:40 am

18. Izzy said,

OMIGOD!

TWINS!

That’s amazing! And remember when I said everything would be fine? Change that to fine times two!

You’ll have three little girls…how awesome.

Congratulations :)

| July 4, 2007 @ 5:08 am

19. JenΓ©e said,

First of all, congratulations (I say that in the polite yet not totally enthusiastic way that a single woman who can’t fathom the thought of having one kid says it).

Second, I don’t know if I ever told you but I’m a twin. We’re fraternal and he’s a boy so it’s not quite the same as having two girls (since there was a third, I’m guessing they’re identical…? Or do you naturally drop like 100 eggs a month?) but if you need any advice on how not to fuck them up, perhaps I can be of assistance in the future.

The thought of twins may freak you out right now but take some comfort in the thought that they should be good for at least one more book. Finding the time to write it is a different matter.

Best of luck and be sure to stock up on the black hair dye- you’ll need it.

| July 4, 2007 @ 7:51 am

20. Sandra said,

Oh. My. God.

The hugest of congratulations to you!!!!!

| July 4, 2007 @ 9:42 am

21. Amber said,

Wow, congratulations! Admittedly, I was secretly hoping for twins when I got pregnant the second time around. Not really for the love of having twins but because we want three kids and I really didn’t want to do three pregnancies.

How is that for deep? :-)

It is my first time visiting your site and am so happy for you!

| July 4, 2007 @ 12:11 pm

22. Jaime said,

Congratulations! I can imagine it’s a little (or a lot) scary, but you will be a wonderful mommy!

| July 4, 2007 @ 12:25 pm

23. Mama Zen said,

Congratulations! What wonderful, terrifying news! You’ll be fine, of course.

| July 4, 2007 @ 1:10 pm

24. Mom101 said,

Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov!

I’m going to say everything twice to you. Although yeah, that will get annoying fast.

| July 4, 2007 @ 3:08 pm

25. It's Just Me said,

good God girl! CONGRATULATIONS! I was just thinking the other day- ok I DO want another one…but I’d like it before I turn 41 so that leaves me 3 years to find a donor, i mean a husband and go for it. So excited for you! :)

| July 4, 2007 @ 3:31 pm

26. zellmer said,

I agree with Amber. The best thing about twins is…two babies, one pregnancy.

I also can’t wait to hear you write about pregnancy, as I am also knocked up for the second time.

I’m reading your book and finding it way more helpful than the pile of books I read the first time around. It’s also hilarious, and a welcome relief from the other bits of neurotic advice I so desperately disagree with. Especially, now that I know better.

Congrats, and good luck.

| July 4, 2007 @ 6:20 pm

27. Anne Glamore said,

Speaking from experience, don’t wait to test-drive the minivans til you’re too big to fit behind the steering wheels. I say that not to depress you, but so that you will end up with the van you want.

Think ahead. Get the captain’s chairs in the 2d row, not the bench, so the kids will be further apart and less able to smack each other.

We had a boy and were going for kid #2 and had the same experience. It’s tough there for a while, so take lots of pics so you’ll have photographic proof of that which you don’t remember.

If you wear a baby backpack on you back and a Bjorn on your front with a baby in each, both hands are free for chips and beer!

Congrats– I have plenty of practical advice for going from 2 on 1 to zone, or as we call it, “chaos.”

| July 4, 2007 @ 6:25 pm

28. yannayoga said,

I’m very happy for you.
    I’ve wanted twins every pregnancy, and I’m newly pregnant again. Hoping for twins again. My question is, how do you know the sexes so soon? Did you do the new early detection test?

| July 4, 2007 @ 6:59 pm

29. Shannon said,

Congratulations! I have absolutely no tips for you, since I can barely handle two kids. Just remember, children are pretty resilient. πŸ˜‰

| July 4, 2007 @ 7:15 pm

30. Shannon said,

Oh, and you could always name them Nancy and Grace. Heh. Ugh.

| July 4, 2007 @ 7:18 pm

31. GIRL'S GONE CHILD said,

Holy shitballs! AHHHHHH!!! Congratulations!!! This is so exciting! Wowowowow! Psh, you’ll be fine. You’re hardcore like that.

| July 4, 2007 @ 7:19 pm

32. Stefanie said,

Yeah, three freaking children. Will I ever eat at a restaurant again? In regards to the question of how I found out the sexes so fast, I had a CVS test at 11 weeks and just got the results. They can find out all kinds of stuff incredibly early nowadays.

| July 4, 2007 @ 7:37 pm

33. TastesLikeCrazy said,

Man!
    I’m with Danny on #2.
    I keep hoping for twins on the “next” one. Maybe I’ll just live vicariously through you for a while.

| July 5, 2007 @ 12:35 am

34. Lisa said,

Congrats. SO cool. (And yes, a bit scarey.)

| July 5, 2007 @ 1:22 am

35. Christina said,

Wow, twins! I think I would have passed out if they told me my second was twins.

Congrats!

| July 5, 2007 @ 2:40 am

36. halfmama said,

Dude. You’re so screwed.

JUST KIDDING. I too had many moments of fear during my pregnancy w/twins. Mixed with a hell of a lot of excitement.

Line up a lot of help and enjoy the ride. Having twins is incredible. Crazy, fun, chaotic.

CONGRATULATIONS! Now go make your husband rub your feet before they turn into Shrek feet.

| July 5, 2007 @ 3:29 am

37. doublees said,

Hi, just came across your blog. Congrats on the twins. I’m a twin, so’s my dad. My grandmother, believe it or not had 3 sets of twins . . . my husband has twin sisters, and needless to say, everytime we got pregnant, we worried we were having twins. I think I felt nervous like you. I didn’t though, but often wonder about the blessings twins would be. My neighbor across the street has twin babies, and although she’s busy, she seems pretty happy. Best of luck to you, really, looking at your children as you wrote, puts it into perspective.

| July 5, 2007 @ 8:09 am

38. jess said,

Wow! Congratulations! Fraternal twins or identical?

I always thought I might end up with twins due to the fertility stuff, but no such luck. Only one baby for me. I’ll have to live vicariously through you. Also, how much that does that no alcohol thing sucks? Um, lots.

| July 5, 2007 @ 1:00 pm

39. Alexa said,

Congratulations! Holy shit!
    You are going to be great, I am certain of it.

| July 5, 2007 @ 4:05 pm

40. Crunchy Carpets said,

Holy Crap that is amazing!!!

Congrats!

| July 5, 2007 @ 5:10 pm

41. Kris said,

Hot damned and congratulations. I would be both terrified and psyched.

Danny is right on with the Nancy Grace assessment. No comparison.

| July 5, 2007 @ 5:11 pm

42. Mona said,

Great great news.

Mazel Tov!

| July 5, 2007 @ 5:56 pm

43. just4ofus said,

The second time is so much easier, although you have a slight wrench in that easier plan.. but I am sure it will be painful and great.
    I can only hope that the adventure inspires you to write another book.

| July 5, 2007 @ 6:45 pm

44. Carrcakes said,

It is surprising how much more alcohol is consumed with the addition of each child.

Congratulations and I hope you remain puke-free for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Cheers!

| July 5, 2007 @ 7:00 pm

45. Mary Tsao said,

Holy shit is right! You are so awesome. Things are going to be pretty exciting over at your house for the next, um, 18 years or so.

Congratulations!

| July 5, 2007 @ 7:46 pm

46. binkytown said,

WOW.wow. Im getting ready to start for number two any day now and this scares the pants right back on me!

For real, congrats. No doubt you will rise to the occaision. I hear it’s much less frightening the second time around.

| July 5, 2007 @ 8:26 pm

47. Cheryl Lage said,

Stef-
    So glad you came out of the “twin mama-to-be” closet!
    You are going to be aces (deuces?), Sista…

It is a ride to put it mildly, but the humor I daresay is exponential…as if you could BE any more humorous! (forgive the Chandler Bing intonation)

Know I am wishing you continued easement in your nausea and double the feet-up time.

| July 5, 2007 @ 8:39 pm

48. motherlawyer said,

Congratulations Woman! That is great news.

I have no advice, just great respect for you and the journey you are embarking on. That, and yeah, kids are resilient, thank god:)

| July 5, 2007 @ 8:51 pm

49. chris said,

Sorry I didn’t congratulate you promptly when I read this, but I was pumping and I was holding my boob–with both hands. Sorry about the visual. You do realize that this officially makes you an urban legend all we infertiles talk about and I’ll have to tell your story the next time I get together with the girls. And then we’ll hate you.

Just kidding. I’m here if you want to freak out or vent or whatever.

Much congrats, again. You’re going to be a great mom of three. And of course, funnier still.

| July 5, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

50. qofs said,

OH HOLY SHIT

that’s all I have

and um…call my BFF Sarah and her Goon Squad for advice now.

Oh, and we all know I pay more than Danny AND Karen.

Erin 1 and Erin 2

| July 5, 2007 @ 11:15 pm

51. CM said,

Mazel Tov, you overachiever! I’m selfishly excited about all the great stuff you are going to write that I get to read!!!
    Enjoy the ride. Just when things seem smooth, perfect time to fuck it all up!! How about Mary Kate and Ashley??? Has a nice ring……

| July 6, 2007 @ 1:16 am

52. Lena said,

So cool! Congrats Stef!

| July 6, 2007 @ 1:27 am

53. gmcountrymama said,

51 comments! WOW! I better write now or forever be lost in the masses.
    “I la la la love you…” Love, HO

| July 6, 2007 @ 1:34 am

54. jeanie said,

Congratulations – and bugger, as V is really hoping that when he gets (and gets the chance) to knock me up, he is hoping that hereditary stats will work in his favour with twins – I said its maternal but my sister gave the older woman drops more eggs spiel – and here you are proving it!!! Oy – good luck on your journey.

| July 6, 2007 @ 1:49 am

55. Y said,

I feel so proud to have known this information before you posted it. πŸ˜‰

You know that you get overwhelmed you have a babysitter just an hour away, right?

| July 6, 2007 @ 4:30 pm

56. Mert said,

Congratulations… and to think that you not only conceived twins naturally but triplets? WOW!

Oooh, names! I loved looking for names. Until I brought my hubs into the discussion… then it was just infuriating, LOL!

| July 6, 2007 @ 8:56 pm

57. In the Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Awesome news. And life with 3 youngsters? Alcohol. Lots of it. Start stocking up now.

| July 7, 2007 @ 2:07 am

58. LaLa said,

So excited for you..this is material for a whole new book!!!!

| July 7, 2007 @ 3:55 am

59. Antique Mommy said,

Congratulations! Two more to take care of you in your old age!

| July 7, 2007 @ 12:47 pm

60. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said,

Welcome to the club!!

If you are already less sick consider yourself lucky. I barfed everyday for 22 weeks.

Not to scare you or anything.

| July 7, 2007 @ 1:36 pm

61. PDX Mama said,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Truly wonderful news. And triplets to begin with??? WOW!

| July 7, 2007 @ 11:36 pm

62. Mrs. Chicken said,

Holy crap, batman! Great news. Mazel tov!

| July 8, 2007 @ 1:46 am

63. kerrianne said,

Congratulations! You are a brave, brave soul. : )

| July 8, 2007 @ 7:31 am

64. Ann said,

Just read your book and loved it, now I’ve found your blog, and, well LOVE IT. And now you’re having twins! I had twins (spontaneous) four months ago and just wanted to welcome you to the twin world. It is truly unbelievable how much fun it really is. But after this, you might have to consider that sometimes sippy cups might actually be for chardonnay after all! Congratulations!

| July 9, 2007 @ 2:25 am

65. Slackermommy said,

Congratulations! Doubly blessed and almost triple blessed! I was scared an overwhelmed with my fourth pregnancy which was a surprise pregnancy. The newborn stage is probably the hardest when there are other siblings. Once I got through the early months and got more rest I seem to cope better. I worried that I wouldn’t be able to give them all enough time and love but they seem to give each other what I can’t always give them. It’s pretty cool. They also beat the crap out of each other and then defend one another when one of them is disciplined for it.

| July 9, 2007 @ 8:03 pm

66. kim said,

Congratulations. As a twin mom, I know how scary the idea can be…but you will be just fine!!!!

| July 10, 2007 @ 2:47 pm

67. Mauzy said,

now that everything’s okay..had to chuckle at that one.

Congrats though!

| July 11, 2007 @ 3:27 am

68. Patti said,

Congratulations! How exciting for those of us who don’t have to go through it. πŸ˜‰

I too lost my son’s twin at 11 weeks. I really can’t imagine having two left still though…eek!

| July 11, 2007 @ 7:50 pm

69. Amy said,

How wonderfully exciting. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read your posts on TRIPLING your Momma-hood!

So great – take it easy!

| July 12, 2007 @ 8:40 pm

70. myminivanisfasterthanyours said,

Considering my URL, how could I not leave a comment? If you get a minivan, you will probably love it, as I love mine, but you’ll probably also get cut off on the road a lot. Not so much respect out there for us minivan drivers!

Congrats on your twins!

| July 13, 2007 @ 9:49 pm

71. rivergirlie said,

i have twins – it’s tricky at times, i won’t deny, but brill overall. congratulations!

| July 19, 2007 @ 3:30 pm

72. cry it out! said,

Holy geez, man! Congratulations!

(Yes, I am the world’s biggest slacker for not saying so earlier — but yeah, holy shit! That is just great.)

| July 22, 2007 @ 5:54 am