40 is the new 50

Full disclosure: I only watched the show Age of Love for about 20 minutes before I had to turn it off. Of course I knew it would be a bad show before I even saw the opening credits by the Cougars vs. Kittens premise, but I’d hoped it would be bad in a good way, like Temptation Island or any interview with Paris Hilton. But this was one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen. This show makes The Bachelor look like PBS programming. Let’s start with the premise: a 30 year-old tennis guy thinks he’s on a regular hook-up show but surprise! as the women are trotted out one by one they have a crazy twist in store for him. They’re really really old! Like old enough to be his grandmother! Okay, not that old but, you know, like 40!!! The look on his face was enough to make me turn the channel alone. The first woman comes out and she’s gorgeous. She introduces herself and adds in the tidbit that she was born in 1967! NOOOOO! Close up on his face as it contorts into a mix of fear, shock and disappointment – as if she’d just told him she totaled his Porche while taking it for a quick spin around the block. The next few women come out looking just as beautiful but one by one they deliver the bad news that their birthdays are were the 60’s or early 70’s. Finally we get a quavering soundbite from our “prize.” “One of them has to be younger, right? They can’t all be old.” He may as well have gone on to say, “they won’t be able to play tennis with me! They’ll be too busy stealing my tennis balls to put on their walkers!”

I guess what we’re supposed to understand is that all the oldsters have their shit together cause they’re all, well, old and shit. Hey, I know plenty of women in their 40’s who you’d be afraid to spend a half hour with due to their crazy neediness, bi-polar mood swings and general not-having-their-shit-togetherness. And I’m not just talking about me.

But on this show, if you’ve made it to your late thirties without a man, you are obviously crazy desperate for one but incredibly self sufficient, career driven and ready for that man (any man) because you’ve done the necessary work on yourself. And if you’re in your 20’s, you’re insanely hot but immature and self centered.

But will he choose and oldie or a newbie? You must tune in to find out. Plus you’ll see the 20’s gals come out with gems like “what’s a synonym for old? Decrepit?”

You’ll find out. I won’t. I turned it off. I’m going to turn 41 in a couple of weeks and I don’t need this world view. Is this just Hollywood or do people really look at a single woman in her late 30’s and think this way? And I don’t even need to point out how ridiculous it would be to have a show where a 30 year-old woman is presented with the horrifying option of dating a late thirties guy!
The injustice!

I could rant on this for a few more hours but I have to eat some grapes and watch Arthur with my child. Okay really I need to go put on a face full of wrinkle cream and buy a new cane.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 22, 2007 9:18 pmUncategorized18 comments

1. Mom101 said,

I’m glad I didn’t watch it. You summed it up exactly as I had feared. I wonder if 20 something women are insulted by the stereotype of them, by the way.

Makes you hope one of the 21 year olds gives him herpes.

| June 23, 2007 @ 2:14 am

2. SUEB0B said,

STFU. You are 26 and just saying you are 41 to make me feel like shit.

| June 23, 2007 @ 4:35 am

3. SUEB0B said,

In other news, I have been looking at personals ads and can I tell you how absolutely charmed I am by the 48 year old guy who is on a spiritual path and who is looking for someone “22 to 32″?

I fart in his general direction.

| June 23, 2007 @ 4:37 am

4. gmcountrymama said,

I was so disgusted by the idea of the show I couldn’t watch it. Of course if I wasn’t working that evening or I had a patient in a coma and I could watch their TV or if I had TIVO I might have said different.
    Happy Birthday! Wish I was there to celebrate with you.

| June 23, 2007 @ 5:01 am

5. Antique Mommy said,

When I saw the ad for the show, my eyes rolled clear out of my head and being 47 and decrepit and all, I couldn’t bend over to get them, so I just left them there next to my box of Depends.

| June 23, 2007 @ 1:09 pm

6. surcie said,

Didn’t they have an “encore” presentation–meaning, nobody watched on this day, so let’s try it on THIS one?

I’ve been too disgusted to watch.

BTW, all the moms I’ve been meeting (at the park, through playgroups, moms night out, etc.) are in their 20’s! I am 38! Are the oldster moms in hiding or something? Where my girlz at?

| June 23, 2007 @ 1:51 pm

7. momomax said,

girlz in nyc. I just spent the afternoon with new and newish moms all older than me, (and I’m 37).

what happened to the whole cougar movement? I thought older women were the new prize more and more.

and you don’t have to wait for the 21 year old to give him herpes. my sister worked in a dematologist’s office for a couple of months and made the discovery that the city’s youngest/hottest/most succesful bachelors have the “herp”.

| June 24, 2007 @ 1:23 am

8. Laural Dawn said,

I heard about the show but didn’t watch it. I have zero interest.
    The whole age question bugs me – I married young and got told that it was too early, I was too young, and had a baby too soon.
    My friend who is in her early 30’s has been told that she was smart to wait and put her career first.
    Yet, according to another friend, apparently the tide turns when you’re 35 and suddenly you’ve waited too long.
    I don’t get it.
    You meet who you meet when you meet him (or her). So what if you are 20 or 30 or 40.
    The best thing anyone ever said to me was that she doesn’t understand why everyone treats life like a race, because what are they racing toward – death???
    Good point.

| June 24, 2007 @ 12:18 pm

9. Christine said,

I watched about the same amount of the show. What bothered me (well, a lot bothered me) was how the two sets of women so readily formed TEAMS, us vs. them, and how each “team” adopted identities.

“We’re young and hot and spontaneous and brimming with giggles and OOOPS! My pert boobies are spilling out of my spaghetti strap tee. Sorry, teehee!”

“We’re old and still hot…plus we’re wise due to our “experiences” and we could teach you something, young man, wink wink nudge nudge. But I’m still a fun girl, teehee!”

But this 41 year-old might, if my mood is right (wrong) catch a few minutes of the show towards the end of the season just to see how the trainwreck is going.

| June 24, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

10. Slackermommy said,

You crack me up and also mom101’s comment about herpes! Yeah, I’ll pass on this one. I’m so tired of these reality dating shows.

| June 25, 2007 @ 4:17 am

11. sam said,

you are brilliant. loved this!

| June 25, 2007 @ 5:06 am

12. Jane is Dating said,

I thought I was going to love that show but truthfully whatever happened to a tastefully dressed 40 something without having to look all weird and desperate?
    Anyways, I have moved- just fyi-

| June 25, 2007 @ 10:25 pm

Ha. I overheard two young guys talking at lunch awhile back and the first one says “I’m getting into older chicks these days” and the second says “gross” and the first says, “not old old, like late 20s.”
    I had to laugh (otherwise I would have cried!).

| June 26, 2007 @ 12:28 am

14. Neil said,

I thought that show was just plain stupid. If they are going to use this dumb concept, at least give the guy a really fun choice — like underage girls who are really annoying vs. seniors who are really funny and sexy.

| June 26, 2007 @ 2:16 am

15. Stefanie said,

Neil, that’s what I thought too! Now that would’ve been some interesting programming. But some of the women on this show are hardly older and hardly younger so who the hell cares?

| June 26, 2007 @ 2:26 am

16. Jane is Dating said,

hey girl thanks for the referral to izzy- she’s helping me out and i can’t wait to see it- except I’m sure I’m driving her crazy already :)

| June 26, 2007 @ 2:20 pm

17. rivergirlie said,

oh dear heaven – thank goodness we don’t get this show in the uk, or i’d have thrown up, i fear.
    so who are these people who keep telling up that 50 is the new 30? oh yeah, i remember now – women journalists in their late 40s (aka the voice of sanity)

| June 26, 2007 @ 6:17 pm

“I guess what we’re supposed to understand is that all the oldsters have their shit together cause they’re all, well, old and shit.”

It’s incredibly boring, the “modern” fear of the “piss-panty wearing” 40 year old. Who is thinking up these braindead, ageist, crap scripts ?

Where are the over-25 models ?
    The over-30 funky, creative mags ?
    The over-35 capturing Hollywood movies ?

BORING!!!!