Is It Just Me Or Is Barry Gibb Sexy?

The man is an icon. Some might say I’m twenty years too late to hop on the Barry Gibb bandwagon but I disagree. I loved the Bee Gees back in the day. I may have only been in the sixth grade when the Bee Gees put out New York City Mining Disaster but you’d have to be on another planet not to have been affected by this song. Of course I owned and played the shit out of my Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and went on to buy and love many future Bee Gees albums and 45’s. But I never felt anything for the Brothers Gibb that was more than platonic.

But last night watching American Idol, all that changed. Dammit, Barry is sexy. His voice, his hair, his talent and all those years of experience have turned him into quite the package. Gone are the 28 inch waist white satin pants and in their place is a hip but much more distinguished look – more of a bearded, blue jeaned casual confident producer.

So, Barry, let’s have coffee. I’m married and have a 2 year-old but we could hang out and gossip. We could talk about how Blake sucks and how great Jordin Sparks is and how much we want to want Lakisha to still win but how our love for her is so tough to sustain. Sure, we love Melinda but do we let our love of her voice get in the way of our sure knowledge that Jordin would get the most out of winning the show? Barry, I would place money on both of us having had the same reaction to Blake. When I watched you watching Blake in the rehearsal playback I knew we were on the same page. What the hell is he doing and where in the hell are his lips? We probably had this idea at the same time: Meg Ryan could give Blake some of her silicone and even things out! I know! Perfect!

The thing is, Bar, I know you run deep. I know you’ve been through a lot. You’ve lost two brothers and I don’t know what that’s like but I’m pretty sure you never get over it, just get through it. You’ve come through a lot and turned out to be the most amazing guest host Idol’s ever had.

Or am I just completely hormonal?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 9, 2007 6:35 pmUncategorized18 comments

1. Dad Gone Mad said,

You can NOT be serious, Stef! His porcelain veneers made him incapable of saying any word with an S in it. If lisps are sexy to you, you must get all horny and shit over people with lazy eyes or who blink involuntarily.

| May 9, 2007 @ 7:23 pm

2. Stefanie said,

So, Danny, what I’m hearing you say is, “yes, Stef, you are just hormonal.” We’ll see what other people say. One of us is not alone in our opinion. And I seriously doubt the veneers are to be “Hollywood.” The poor guy’s British, it’s tough to keep your teeth there past the age of 15!

| May 9, 2007 @ 7:27 pm

3. surcie said,

I love that man’s music and the falsetto, but I miss his old circa ’70s hair. It was bouncin’ and behavin’ back then, wasn’t it? And I’m not digging the silver tresses. I think he needs a good colorist. PLUS I didn’t not care for how his ‘stache was shaved above his lip. I don’t mean to be hard on BG, but he used to be sooo dreamy.

I think you may be viewing him through hormone-colored glasses, Stef. But that’s okay!

| May 9, 2007 @ 7:58 pm

4. KlrbluEys2002 said,

HOT HOT HOT he is still HOT. Cutest of the Gibb boys. SO it is not just you he is SEXY.

| May 9, 2007 @ 8:00 pm

5. Denise said,

Are me and Mad Dad the only ones who noticed the choppers? He did not always have those, although if I’m not mistaken, he’s Australian, not British, and hailing from a former penal colony cannot be easy on oral health. Bad teeth, dude.

Iloved you, Andy Gibb. Damn that Victoria Principal to hell….

| May 9, 2007 @ 8:05 pm

6. Mom101 said,

It’s just you.

Now Andy…he was a bona fide hottie.

| May 9, 2007 @ 10:33 pm

7. Carey said,

Personally, I thought his lips were just as bad as Blake’s – totally nonexistent!!

| May 9, 2007 @ 11:24 pm

8. Jane is Dating said,

I think you’re just hormonal! :)

| May 9, 2007 @ 11:31 pm

9. In the Trenches of Mommyhood said,

Umm…I thought he kinda looked like Kenny Rogers (and not in a good way).

| May 10, 2007 @ 1:28 am

10. Denise said,

Ok, I just saw him again. If, by “hormonal”, you actually mean “Oh my god, I’ve just had 11 shots of Cuervo 1800 and 5 pitchers of beer, and I am so drunk as to be puking on the floor,” then yeah, he’s hot.

| May 10, 2007 @ 1:51 am

11. surcie said,

I’m watching BG now and had to come back to ask, don’t you think the teeth make him sound a little Sean Connery-ish?

| May 10, 2007 @ 1:53 am

12. Stefanie said,

You guys are all hatin’ on my Barry. This is so uncool. A man get a little older and a little greyer and you wolves just go in for the kill. I’m not having it. He’s a cool mother fucker.

| May 10, 2007 @ 2:23 am

13. gmcountrymama said,

Sorry, I remain faithful to Andy. Oh no,now I have that song in my head…Blamin it all, on the nights on Broadway..I’ll never sleep tonight!

| May 10, 2007 @ 2:47 am

14. Amy said,

It saddens me because I usually find myself in complete agreement with you lady, but the missing upper lip threw me – I could think of nothing else everytime he was on screen…

Was it always like that and his beard covered it???

| May 10, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

15. momomax said,

this is very strange to say, but I kind of know what you mean. I never really got into the gibbs when they were actually hot, but the whole sean connery thing and the accent took me by surprise, as in, it was weirdly not repulsive…? then again, I used to think gerard dippity doo was hot.

| May 15, 2007 @ 2:22 am

16. PDX Mama said,

I don’t relate, at all. Where did his lips go? And that ‘stache? Eeeww.

| May 18, 2007 @ 1:57 pm

Get a life…yes he is very attractive but not for just his looks…wisdon comes with age and with his age has come great pain which is attractive as always.

| October 17, 2007 @ 10:53 pm

18. barryswife said,

I can totally relate to you Stefanie! I absolutely LOVE Barry Gibb! I feel like I’m 12 years old again as I watch all those old videos of the Bee Gees on youtube. I wish he would dye his hair just to see what it would look like though. I wish I could go back in time and be his wife and have his 5 children…oh God, he was so friggin’ sexy! Listening to the words to his music makes me fall in love with him all over again…he was so charming and humble, and I love his accent. Yes, he does sound a bit like Sean Connery…hahaha, BUT I don’t care, he is my man!

| December 9, 2007 @ 5:51 pm