ORIGINAL HITS, ORIGINAL STARS – IT’S ALL HERE!

This post is inspired by a post by L.A. Daddy when he posted about embarrassing music. Well, I commented about an old album of mine which came out in 1975 and still holds visceral memories for me. I must find out if anyone else remembers this album as intensely as I do. Sure, we’ll realize together that we’re freaks but aren’t there worse things in life than being a bit “off?” Like, we could be seriel killers intead of just lovers of obscure 1970’s musics. I guess we could be both, but let’s not go there. I’m in therapy so if I have any murderous urges, hopefully my skilled therapist (who’s also a relationship “coach” -whatever the hell that means) will nip them in the bud.

On with the cheeze! My favorite album ever, the album I coveted for months until my mother finally relented and bought it for me because I was in the throes of a bad case of chicken pox and could not be comforted.

This album definitely scratched an itch! It’s called K-tell MUSIC EXPRESS – 20 original hits 10 original stars (As ADVERTISED ON T.V.) (ALL TOP 10 HITS)

Let’s reviste them shall we?

Side One

1 The Captain & Tennille….Love Will Keep Us Together (fair enough…it’s not Muscrat Love right? And I learned to play this on the guitar at 9 years old.

2 Frankie Valli….Swearin’ To God (yes he had other hits but none as cheesy as this 70’s classic that a teen girl (me) played over and over.

3 K.C. & The Sunshine Band…Get Down Tonight (destined to be a bad wedding song forever more)

4 The Elton John Band…..Philadelphia Freedom (my least favorite song on the album. I mean, it’s totally normal. And what’s with “The Elton John Band?” He must’ve been going through an experimental phase. Suffice it to say I skipped over this song. Probably scratching it in the process.

5 Harry Chapin….Cat’s In The Cradle (Of course I cried because I had a monstrous stepfather whom I fantasized would someday be sorry. He never was)

6 Barry Manilow…..Mandy (Crazy but I never got this song. Sweet yes. Affecting to a 9 year old? Not so much. I preferred songs about tragedy – and they’re coming up)

7 10cc…..I’m Not In Love (I used to sing this song over and over until years later I learned what the band’s name meant. 10cc’s of sperm. Gross. Not for the mind of a youngster to contemplate.

8 Phoebe Snow….Poetry Man (I don’t know. I remember the song well and could sing a long but I don’t believe I particularly related or liked it much)

9 Sammy Johns…..Chevy Van (Okay, here we go. This was a favorite. Since I lost track of this record and since rebought it on Ebay, I could still sing all the words. Remember the good old days when a hippie could pick up a hot chick by the side of the road and not be tempted to rape and dismember her? Good times.

10 David Geddes….Run Joey Run (For those of you who don’t remember this song, A woman is marrying her boyfriend but her dad puts an end to that by coming over to shoot him. But as luck and bad aim would have it, he accidentally shoots her instead. There’s blood, crying, sad 70’s ish sounds like AAAAH Ah,,AAAAh Ah – I probably played this song no less than 80 thousand times. Or until I discovered Olivia Newton John’s Have You Never Been Mellow.

Side Two

1 Austin Roberts…..Rocky (Better get our the tissues. They really hit the ground running with this song in terms of tragedy. First the chick and her dude fall in love to which she sings “Rocky I’ve never been in love before, don’t know if I can do it, but if you let me lean on you take my hand I might get trough it…then she gets married to the same chorus, then she has a baby, then, naturally she gets cancer and sings, Rocky I’ve never had to die before, don’t know if I can do it, but if you let me lean on you take my hand I might get through it…are you crying yet? If not, you have issues.

2 The Ozark Mountain Daredevils….Jackie Blue (This song was remade at some point but came no where near the original.

3 Mike Post….The Rockford Files (I’m pretty sure this was just an instrumental. And what 9 year old appreciates an instrumental. Not many. Maybe when we got older we like that one from Beverly Hills Cop Axel-T – but not at 9! come on people! Put some lyrics in there.

4 Jigsaw…Sky High (another classic – I played this one over and over “you’ve blown it all sky high, by telling me a lie, without a reason why….memories….)

5 The Ritchie Family….Brazil (seriously, I can’t remember this one. And I’m too lazy to hook up the turn table. So if anyone remembers how it goes, remind me.

6 Disco Tex & The Sex-O-Lettes – Get Dancin’ (let me just say for the record that I lost my virginity at 20. So anything with Sex in it was sort of meaningless for me at this age. But hey, it had a good beat.

7 The Doobie Brothers….Long Train Runnin’ (Truthiness time – I loved me some Doobies. Of course, I didn’t get the pot reference at all. I was 9!! But when Michael McDonald joined up I was done for. I’ve always been a Michael McDonald fan. Yes, I’m a geek.

8 Frankie Valli…My Eyes Adored You (I guess one Frankie song wasn’t enough. Do you think it was a mafia thing? Like the “family” said “how bouts another Frankie song? What could it hurt?” and the the Music Express genius dared to say “but we already have one Frankie song and it’s just all right” to which mafia guys just looked at him and gave him a sneak peek at the top of his gun.
On the flip side, I knew all the words to this one. Still do.

9 Tony Camillo’s Bazuka….Dynomite (no recollection of this song or the band’s title so…moving on.)

10 John Wakeling & The Kinshasa Band…Black Superman –“Muhammad Ali” (Muhammad, the black superman, floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee….memorable, racist, all the great things the 70’s had to offer.

Remember any of these? Or am I just old?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 23, 2007 2:35 pmUncategorized15 comments

1. karenm said,

What? 0 comments? I saw that and had to post. I usually just lurk, but ADORED your book and recommend it to every mom I know.
    I didn’t have this fabulous recording, but a similar KTel collection, including two huge ones you’re missing here: Billy Don’t Be a Hero and Seasons in the Sun. Two classic tearjerkers. I’m choked up just *thinking* about Michelle dying….
    Congrats on the ebay score, thank God your daughter will be exposed to the musical genius that is Captain & Tenille.

| April 23, 2007 @ 5:45 pm

2. Stefanie said,

Hey Karen,

don’t worry about the no comments. I just posted this a half hour ago. And, pleeeease, I was obsessed with Seasons in the Sun. I think that was on the next K-tel offering “Dynomite.” Which I also owned!

| April 23, 2007 @ 5:52 pm

3. Antique Mommy said,

I was 15 in 1975 and remember most of those sorry sorry songs. Although. I happen to have KC and the Sunshine Band on my iPod. It’s a nostalgia thing. And the 10cc thing? Loved that song too, but I never knew that bit of trivia. And I think I liked it better that way.

| April 23, 2007 @ 6:31 pm

4. sweatpantsmom said,

Ohhhh – I must be old. Because I’m humming all of these in my head now.

KC & The Sunshine Band – *sigh*

| April 23, 2007 @ 8:05 pm

5. L.A. Daddy said,

Yeah, I was a K-Tel whore. I had at least 4 albums. Probably sold them all at a garage sale for $0.50

I’m so ashamed.

Oh, the humanity.

| April 24, 2007 @ 4:28 am

6. gmcountrymama said,

One of my favorite cds is Sounds of the 70’s, a Time Life series. I only bought the first cd because it had all my favorite songs on it.
    Like..hooked on a feeling, the night chicago died, chevy van, dancing in the moonlight, rock me gently, moonlight feels right, afternoon delight, sky high, billy dont be a hero, seasons in the sun, run joey run, shannon and more, but those were the best. Yes, I am a freak too.

| April 24, 2007 @ 2:26 pm

7. chris said,

Ha! I remember all of them. Of course, I’m old.

| April 24, 2007 @ 3:09 pm

8. Laural said,

Okay – I wasn’t born when this album came out. But, that’s okay because I have heard of some of these songs!!
    But, don’t feel bad. The album I fell in love with was Milli Vanilli!!! It pains me to admit that.
    Guess what? I ordered your book at my bookstore and it came in (finally)!!!
    I can’t wait to read it.

| April 24, 2007 @ 10:15 pm

“Rocky” ~ Oh my, how I used to love that song. Would replay, replay, replay. Memorized every word. Can still sing every word to this day. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

| April 25, 2007 @ 12:57 pm

10. Kelly said,

I do remember some of them, but I just can’t help focusing on the ‘sex-o-lettes.’ what a bizarre name!

Philadelphia Freedom holds a special place in my heart, living just outside the city. “I was born to wave the flag…” Go, elton, go!

Side 1 has more memorable songs than Side 2, at least in my own brain.

| April 25, 2007 @ 2:51 pm

11. Pine said,

We’re children of the 80’s but my hubby loves this old 70s stuff for whatever reason…perhaps b/c he remembers listening to it as a child?? Anyway, he has a CD collection called “Have a Nice Day” that has most of these songs on it (and which is where I 1st heard many of these songs, sorry to say). I’m sure you’d like it.

| April 26, 2007 @ 5:57 am

12. Michele Rowe said,

OMG, but I used to have this album, too.

I used to play it on my portable turntable, where I had to put a coin on the needle arm to keep it from skipping. I would sit in my room and sing along for hours.

ah, the life of any only child.

Michele

| April 27, 2007 @ 7:37 pm

13. domestika said,

Aghh! Just when I’d finally forgotten Music Express!

Embarrassing indeed – it was my first LP to join the 45s. I think it’s still in a box in the depths of my parents’ basement.

| April 29, 2007 @ 5:11 pm

14. Cheryl said,

Oh my Got in Himmel…
    Music Express was my prized possession…always placed in the front position in my K-Tel pseudo-Rolodex of albums (did you have that too? You pull the front album forward and then each cascades in turn?)

Run Joey Run was the bomb…
    “Daddy please don’t, it wasn’t his fault, he means so much to me…Daddy please don’t, we’re gonna get ma-a-a-r-r-ried…just you wait and see….”

Tell me Madonna didn’t have that as her inspiration for “Papa Don’t Preach”! 😉

| May 5, 2007 @ 11:09 pm

15. beta mum said,

I spent the Easter holidays of 1974/5 with a gang of mates on the beach messing about with a boat someone had got hold of.
    Then we got another boat. So the boys towed one boat behind the other, and it went under the surf.
    I was in the one that went under, and we were all bellowing out “Seasons in the Sun” at the time.
    We ended up wet and very pissed off with the boys who’d been doing the towing.
    That song always reminds me of those sunny, seaside, school holidays.

| June 4, 2007 @ 8:38 pm