Hyper-Chondriac – My New Favorite Book

Hey, life is about more than breastfeeding or NOT as the case may be. Let’s talk about happy things. Like how insanely chubby and munchable my daughter’s thighs are. Packed with nutritional value too. In fact, I think due to eating her thighs, my bad cholesteral has gone down 30 points and my liver is funtioning like a fourteen-year-olds. Something to consider for you health nuts out there.

Today, I would like to highly recommend a hilarious book that happens to be written by a friend of mine. But I know lots of people who write books and I don’t go on and on about them. Sure, I say “I liked your book. Very much.” but I don’t get on my computer and start typing out compliments like they’re Jelly Bellies. The book we’re talking about here is called Hyper-Chondriac – by Brian Frazer. Brian and I worked together for a period of time in a small windowless office and got to know each other quite well. From what I knew of him then, he was so funny he made the job worthwhile, generous to a fault, gentlemanly, compassionate but with the lowest threshold for frustration of any man I’d ever met. In short, I loved him and related to him.

So years later, he’s happily married, truth be told still a bit hyper but…working on himself like a beast which is way more than you can say for most assholes in LA who think the problem relies solely with “the other assholes.”

Let’s get to the book. It’s all about how Brian decided that his road rage, irrational anger at things and people that don’t act in an orderly manner, might be his problem. He started taking Zoloft ( a drug I have a bestfriendship with) mixing the dose around like I experiment with spices and finally coming to something fairly close to a working dose. But the funny part is all the ways he tries to calm down. Things that make me want to kill myself. Yoga (with a 100 year old instructor who didn’t show up half the time), special diets I don’t begin to understand, Tai Chi and the funniest, a silence retreat he made it through twenty minutes of. I loved this book because unlike all that “The Secret” bullshit (sorry for you Secret lovers out there but COME ON) Brian actually wanted to get better but knew there were no shortcuts. And he’s such a cynic that, if you’re anything like me, and if you’re reading this blog you are, you will find this book the funniest thing you’ve maybe ever read. And you might learn something too. I didn’t but I never learn anything. That’s what sucks about me.
So remember, Hyper-Chondriac. Give it to someone you love…or are just worried about.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 7, 2007 9:22 pmUncategorized6 comments

Omigod, you’re so right. I bought this book last weekend and couldn’t put it down. And I’m not even hyper, but my husband is. He’s reading it now and loves it too!

| March 7, 2007 @ 10:27 pm

2. surcie said,

I’ve been dying for something new–and funny–to read. Thanks, Stefanie!

| March 8, 2007 @ 3:35 am

3. Melissa R. Garrett said,

Thanks Stefanie! I’m going to be taking part in a spring reading challenge (it’s been ages since I’ve read anything beyond 2nd grade level), and YOUR book and Brian’s book will be right up top. Can’t wait to get started! :-)

| March 8, 2007 @ 8:18 pm

4. Melanie said,

Warning: Random comment ahead. I ended up here from a link at Bub & Pie. I read back a few posts. I totally saw you on the Today Show. And a big AMEN to you! I was so with you that day. The weird thing is, I never watch the Today Show. I work full-time as a teacher and don’t really watch t.v. in the morning, ever. I would normally be at work at that time. But I saw you that day (snow day? holiday? comp day? I can’t remember). So anyway, I am so getting your book. Women are so cool – thanks for sticking by your opinion that day. I really thought you were awesome! (Okay, blatant flattery over – I’ve gotta go). Thanks for the great posts anyway. I’ll have to stop by again.

| March 9, 2007 @ 4:22 am

5. gmcountrymama said,

I will put this book on the top, just beneath your new book, of my very very long list of books I wish I had time to read.

| March 9, 2007 @ 4:26 pm

6. L.A. Daddy said,

Thanks for the recommendation. As a driver here in LA, I know I feel some of his pains. I actually ride a motorcycle now to avoid a lot of the anger. That bike was my Zoloft, I guess.

I’ll check it out.