The Today Show, NYPD Blue and Lip Gloss

First off, thanks for your nice comments! I would respond to them when they come in but they always say “no reply” or most of them. What’s up with that? Anyone blog savvy? It’s not that the comments are anonymous it’s just that they don’t come from an email address. Anyway…

Today Show: I’ve got to say, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. As a lot of people have commented already here and other places, both Meredith and the doc lightened up quite a bit. I talked to Dr. J before hand and told her I was just going to stick by the fact that a drink or two is not a big deal around the kids and she could say whatever she wants. Melissa had given me the advice to have a little blurb in my head that I could repeat whenever. So, in my mind I just kept thinking “we’re talking about moderation, here.” Those emails were ridiculous. Especially the one from the MAN that just said I don’t think women should ever drink around their children no matter what the reason. Okaaaay. Bottom line, there were fresh bagels in the green room.

The more interesting part of the story to me, and then I will open up the floor to questions, is that the night before, having just flown in, I couldn’t sleep. Not the half asleep but keep waking up kind of insomnia but the full blown I’m not even tired right now and my mind is racing like I’ve had eight cups of espresso insomnia. Not good. Of course, like all those stupid commercials for sleep-aids, the more I thought “shit, I’ve got to be on tv in 5 hours” the less sleep wanted anything to do with me. So, after watching at least 5 hours of an NYPD Blue marathon (which I’d never seen before and I must say, it was a good show – although (tangent time) wasn’t Rick Shroeder supposed to be on it? There was no sign of Mr. Silver Spoons on any of the episodes I saw), I got up showered and prayed the Today Show would have Visine. They did. And then I went out and did the show on pure nerves and caffeine. Oh and I was really really drunk.

So now I’m home and having slept last night, I feel back to my normal slightly irritable self. And I have a blister on my foot from wearing heels for two hours. I never ever wear heels. I like to be able to run at the spur of the moment. So just wearing them for that long made my heel bleed. I tell you, I’m not great at being a girl. Not that I was a gender reassignment surgery or anything, I just feel like a complete fraud in a dress. Yet, I’m obsessed with lip gloss. Hmm…something for a therapist to sort out I think. On second thought, maybe I do need more sleep.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on February 8, 2007 10:49 pmUncategorized34 comments

1. cry it out! said,

Sleep or no sleep you, my friend, are a rock star. You did great!
    Mike

| February 8, 2007 @ 11:44 pm

2. Allison said,

Oh good Lord, I just watched this and I’m about to pee my pants in laughter: “I think each person should have their own beer.” I love it. Not a mom, but an avid reader of Suburban Bliss. I’m so glad they asked you to come onto the show, I wish it had went this well for Melissa.

| February 9, 2007 @ 12:17 am

3. Christina said,

You did a great job, and Melissa’s advice seems to have come in handy. You stuck to your line, and they did soften.

And yeah, those were some, uh, interesting e-mails. I agree with you, though, that the one woman who e-mailed should have her own beer!

For having no sleep, you looked really refreshed and alert.

| February 9, 2007 @ 12:29 am

4. Shannon said,

I used to be able to rock the heels, but something about giving birth stole my heel wearing ability away. Now I stumble around in them like a preschooler playing dress up. I think I’ll add it to the list of things hormones rob you of when becoming a mother: Inability to sleep soundly?check. Loss of libido? check. Clumsy in sexy shoes? check. At least my alcohol tolerance increased.

| February 9, 2007 @ 12:53 am

5. Lizzy said,

Delurking here… I loved your humor on the Today Show.
    Also, this afternoon my 10-month-old son and I attended our weekly Mommy/Baby Happy Hour and you were quite the topic of conversation. We toasted your mention of “each person should have their own beer.”
    Anyhoo: great job!

| February 9, 2007 @ 1:26 am

6. Meegan said,

I so loved your comment about the couple that split a beer at dinner. Seriously? You split a beer? They really do need their own beers. That’s just irresponsible of them.

Great job. You looked great and you only sort of came off as a complete alcoholic. (I kid.)

| February 9, 2007 @ 2:36 am

7. Mom101 said,

I thought you came off as confident, smart and funny. Admit it, it was all the bagel, wasn’t it? Real NY bagels do have that power.

And I loved the contrast of your sleeveless, well-toned arms in the foreground, while tourists in 97 layers of fleece waved frantically for the cameras in the window behind you.

| February 9, 2007 @ 4:01 am

8. tara said,

hey there
    never posted before
    found you via melissa.

just wanted to say i thought you did a great job-very california chill. loved it. :)

| February 9, 2007 @ 4:25 am

9. Neil said,

California Chill? That could be the name of your new rock band! Good job on the show. Now can you get on “Millionaire” and win some money?

| February 9, 2007 @ 7:51 am

10. Chicagoland Mamacita! said,

Nicely done. I’m not going to repeat the other bloggers – who’ve written my thoughts verbatim.

My highlight, though, was the very end of the piece, when you said you could use a glass of wine, and Meredith chimed that she needed one too. Does that mean MV is human? Wow, had pretty much ruled that out. There’s hope yet for Today.

| February 9, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

11. Finding My New Normal said,

Re: the Ricky Schroeder character on NY PD Blues. He came later. First there was red head David Caruso, then came the latino guy who used to be on LA Law. THEN came Rick Schroeder. So it depends on where you were in the marathon.

Scary that I know this? Does it make it scarier to know that I’ve never once seen the show myself?

| February 9, 2007 @ 5:50 pm

12. mom on a wire said,

Dr. Janet seemed much more nervous this time, for some reason. Like she was really worried about getting called out on her comments… She seemed to stutter and backtrack much more than last time. Did you notice that at all, or am I reading too much into it?

| February 9, 2007 @ 5:59 pm

13. Her Bad Mother said,

You looked, and you sounded great – I laughed out loud at the beer line. Way to hold your own, and then some – and on NO SLEEP. As a fellow insomniac, I raise my glass to you.

| February 9, 2007 @ 10:57 pm

14. jeanie said,

Hey there

I accidentally woke up at 4.30 (a bit of a bad habit with me) and my child accidentally came out into the living room at 5.00.

As I blearily tried to find a My Little Pony DVD that would not cause (my own) self-immolation, the local station was piping in American TV – AND GUESS WHAT THE NEXT SEGMENT WAS???

Of course, given the amount of blog-smog generated by the first episode I had to watch the sequel.

Well done – personally, I am on the opinion I will not drink around my child as long as she does not interrupt my sleep patterns. We understand each other that way.

She even asks as we go past bottle shops “do you need a bottle of wine, mummy?” and as long as one of us (her or me) is in control we call it a successful day!!!

Oh – and I can never reply to people except through the comments board – one of Bloggers biggest headaches, I think.

| February 9, 2007 @ 11:50 pm

15. BlogWhore said,

fuck. i’ve been away all week and i didn’t get to see it.

and…anna nicole smith died while i was gone, too. what the hell?

| February 10, 2007 @ 1:14 am

16. Mel said,

I don’t drink. And I don’t go to playgroups, but I have four children. (I know. Who cares?)

However, I thought you looked and sounded terrific. I hope your book sells more copies just because of the Today Show.

| February 10, 2007 @ 1:20 am

17. GIRL'S GONE CHILD said,

Loved it. You’re such a rockstar.

| February 10, 2007 @ 2:44 am

18. Mrs. Chicken said,

I haven’t seen it yet (oh, DVR how I love you) but I’ve heard you were FAN-EFFING-TASTIC.

I am not surprised one tiny bit.

| February 10, 2007 @ 9:37 pm

19. Scoutj said,

You rocked it. I’m glad that Meredith and the Dr lightened up. I love it when Meredith said even she needed a drink.

You really did a great job. I can NOT believe people have made such a big deal about this. Aren’t there more imporant things going on in the world right now for people to focus their energy on? I mean, we really need to know how Anna Nicole died! We’re talking important things here…..

| February 10, 2007 @ 11:53 pm

20. sweatpantsmom said,

You know, my 10-year old hates dresses but is obsessed with lipgloss. Now I’m relieved because maybe this means that she’ll grow up to be a published author and be on the Today Show.

| February 11, 2007 @ 8:56 am

21. surcie said,

I had no idea you were going back because I was trapped in the parallel universe that is Walt Disney World. You were great!

| February 12, 2007 @ 3:01 am

22. surcie said,

Oooh, I love the new look, Stef! It’s more reflective of your hot self.

| February 12, 2007 @ 2:22 pm

23. surcie said,

PS: Is that cute little girl you? Sure looks like you!

| February 12, 2007 @ 2:24 pm

24. BlogWhore said,

love the new look!!!

i need to upgrade, too.

| February 12, 2007 @ 5:57 pm

25. Right Brained Gal said,

You were great! I thought you handled it with humor and showed them they are taking it way too serious. I mentioned a situation on my blog about my experience with fathers drinking in front of their kids. I hate the double standard. By the way, I raised two daughters over many cocktail playdates, and they are not in therapy or AA.f

| February 13, 2007 @ 12:12 am

26. Jess Riley said,

Love the new layout! This joint is gorgeous.

Also, I caught the segment & thought you were fantastic. Cracking the crew up? Perfect.

| February 13, 2007 @ 7:48 pm

27. Jenée said,

I missed the Today Show because I don’t get up that early for anybody and because I’m too lazy to find out what time and channel it’s on to record it. But if I see you in person I’ll be sure to tell you you were great!

Totally off-topic… saw that picture on the front of your blog and thought it was freakish how much your daughter looks like you. Then I realized how freakish it would be for a two-year-old to have a grill like that. Cute pic.

| February 13, 2007 @ 11:47 pm

28. gingajoy said,

hey! I KNOW I commented here before. But ditto to all the above. And the “they each need their own beer” thing. fucking priceless.

Hey–and I like the new digs. GetchYooo, miss pretty pretty!

| February 14, 2007 @ 12:36 am

29. Deezee said,

dig the new look!

| February 14, 2007 @ 4:21 am

30. Krisco said,

Wow, nice site change. I hardly recognized ya! (Good think I’d read this post already… : )

| February 15, 2007 @ 4:26 am

We really are separated at birth…I have 17 tubes of lipgloss in the top drawer of my desk at work.

Paula (pewella)

| February 15, 2007 @ 6:01 pm

32. Cheryl said,

What I loved most about your appearance on the show was how true to yourself you were. You’ve inspired me to be my funny, sarcastic self even more and stop worrying what people think!
    By the way, the day after your appearance, I found a Barbie Dollhouse Furniture set that includes a TV, dog and mini bar complete with serving pieces and the refrigerator is fully stocked with champagne and wine (gotta love the dollar store)! Who says Barbie isn’t a role model?

| February 15, 2007 @ 7:09 pm

33. Lena said,

You did awesome.

And lurvin’ the new site.

| February 17, 2007 @ 1:02 am

34. gmcountrymama said,

I love the new look. You are too funny!

| February 19, 2007 @ 10:13 pm