Today Show Bump

It’s always so fun when you go to watch yourself on tv only to find out that you’ve been replaced with a story on women who make more money than their men.

My Today Show drinkin’ moms interview will now be airing on January 26th. As it turns out, the in studio guest is non other than Melissa from Suburban Bliss. She will be on the couch and hopefully take any or all of the heat for our “alcoholic ways.” In reality, there’s nothing wrong with having a glass of wine in front of your kids. There are so many bigger and better things to be judgemental about. Like wearing white after Labor Day or building a meth lab in your basement by smuggling Sudafed in from other countries since it’s illegal to by it here. I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with our country. The things we judge mothers on don’t make sense. A lot of the mothers who breastfeed, co-sleep and homeschool their kids until they’re old enough to vote, have come down hard on my book for daring to suggest that it’s okay if you can’t or don’t end up breastfeeding. These are the exact same mothers who are pro-war because Bush says it’s right and Bush is a Christian and Christians are always right because they go by the bible. And I don’t want to hear any different la la la la la la la – I’m not listening!

Well, there are plenty of mothers just like me. Mothers who can’t believe their luck in how much they love their child, their life, their husbands, their jobs. Women who feel grateful that having a child changed their life even if they still wish for a couple of things back from their old life (like a post midnight bedtime). It’s a different world than thirty years ago – a world where we have car seats for our babies (quick someone show Britney how to use hers) and we know better than to smoke in the car or house or at all. A world where our drug of choice seems to be coffee or Klonopin rather than a double scotch rocks at five p.m. every day. But still, we’re judged.

Well judge away on my playdate glass of wine habit. I happen to know that I’m more fun when I’m one-sheet-to-the-wind. And I give a damn good impromptu puppet show. And I weigh three times as much as Nicole Richie so my tolerance is much higher.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on January 15, 2007 9:22 pmUncategorized22 comments

1. Suzy said,

At first I thought that title meant that The Today Show was pregnant, or someone on it was pregnant. I’m glad you got bumped because I totally forgot, being only down to 3 brain cells because the cold air out here sucked the others away.

Fuck what other people say. Do you remember NOTHING from our standup careers?

| January 15, 2007 @ 10:11 pm

2. Meegan said,

I’m a SAHM who, too, enjoys the occasional, ahem, beverage during playgroup. I mean, c’mon! I work hard to stimulate my babe’s brain, exercise her little limbs and provide all the nurturing, love and emotional support a mother can give. To be judged for having a glass of wine? Um, people, get a life! Look forward to your Today Show appearance.

p.s. Is Matt Lauer hot in person?

| January 15, 2007 @ 11:07 pm

3. Stefanie said,

Sadly, I didn’t meet Matt Lauer in person. Not the first time I was on because he was already gone and not this time because it was filmed here in LA. But, when I was on Fox and Friends I sat on a couch next to Tiki Barber and holy shit is he ever hot!

| January 15, 2007 @ 11:28 pm

4. sweatpantsmom said,

I will be waiting in front of my TV on the 26th, cocktail in hand.

| January 16, 2007 @ 1:54 am

5. Tuesday Girl said,

Amen!

| January 16, 2007 @ 3:36 pm

6. gmcountrymama said,

I totally agree! Now I must go take care of my hangover with a little Hair of the Dog…

| January 16, 2007 @ 3:37 pm

7. Mrs. Chicky said,

A-to the freaking-men! I might have to put a bit of Baileys in my coffee while watching your interview, in a show of solidarity.

| January 16, 2007 @ 6:10 pm

8. Denise said,

Mrs. Chicky, you are indeed a good friend. And Stef, HOLY COW you sat next to Tikki Barber? You never told me! He makes me….well, just you never mind what he makes me do but he sure makes me do it.

| January 16, 2007 @ 7:42 pm

9. Shannon said,

I’ve just stumbled upon your blog (although I have heard about your book) and just had to chime in here to say that I am a pro-breastfeeding, homeschooling, kinda-sorta attachment parenting Mom. And? I don’t think I’d make it through the dinner hour without a glass of wine or a margarita. I think my family is better off for it because when I am relaxed, EVERYTHING goes more smoothly. I’ll be checking out the Today Show segment.

| January 17, 2007 @ 2:59 am

10. Mrs. Chicken said,

I’ll set my DVR, my dear. You AND Melissa on one show? I might die.

Thanks for the blogroll and the kind comments. Write more, please! :)

| January 17, 2007 @ 4:52 am

11. Jess Riley said,

I’m so glad I didn’t miss your spot.

I say keep doing whatever you’re doing, because it’s working and we love the snot out of you.

| January 17, 2007 @ 6:34 pm

12. surcie said,

Hurray! I didn’t miss it after all!

Don’t go changin’.

| January 18, 2007 @ 2:50 am

13. Mom101 said,

The thing that bugs me most about all this is that it’s a total double standard. If a dad had a beer during the afternoon while the kids played on the floor in front of him, no one would think twice about it.

| January 18, 2007 @ 5:38 pm

14. BlogWhore said,

holy shit, i can’t believe it is u?!?!

your book is my sister’s customary new baby gift. i read it and of course i loved it.

hmm… what part did i like the best?!?! maybe when u refered to babies as laying there like a puddle. i thought that was a good metaphor.

| January 18, 2007 @ 7:26 pm

15. BlogWhore said,

oh yeah, i’m a way huge lush, too.

i mean, i have a drink or two.

| January 18, 2007 @ 7:35 pm

16. creative-type dad said,

Poor Nicole. It’s not her fault she’s a freak.
    Well, maybe.

| January 20, 2007 @ 4:15 am

17. Lena said,

My Tivo is SET. You’re so bigtime.

| January 23, 2007 @ 7:14 pm

18. donna said,

Just wanted to say that I loved loved loved your book! I actually was given two copies of it and can’t bear to part with either copy.

I hate how much women seem to enjoy tearing each other down for the mothering choices they make. Don’t breastfeed? Going back to work? Why, you obviously don’t love your child! Staying home? You obviously have no drive and just want to eat bon bons all day. We should be supporting each other. Now I sound like one of those people who shoot sunshine out the butts…. I’m not.

I’ll definitely be recording you on the Today show so that I can later watch with an adult beverage after the wee one is asleep.

| January 24, 2007 @ 9:00 pm

19. C. said,

Just saw the interview and loved it. Had to call husband into the room (who thinks this whole blog thing is nuts) and say, “Lookquickat theladyingreen,Ireadherblogandthereshereallyis!” Ha! Great job!

I’m one of those SAHM’s who has done it all (bfeeding, co-sleeping, formula feeding you name it…after three kids you do whatever works for that particular child) and I couldn’t agree more with your ideas on playdates and drinking.

If it weren’t for wine, how the hell would we get through things like the SOTU?

| January 26, 2007 @ 1:49 pm

20. Suzy said,

Stef, you did not look fat. Now that the important comment is out of the way.

Great plug for the book, great shots of both you and Elby so congratulations. You didn’t look fat.

Now do you believe me?

| January 26, 2007 @ 5:58 pm

21. ^starshine said,

Bravo on the piece that aired this morning!

I don’t see anything wrong with having a glass of wine during a playgroup. It is not any different than having a glass of wine at a family get together where everyone is enjoying a cold beverage while the kids play.

Great piece and I hope you become a regular contributor to the show!

| January 26, 2007 @ 7:18 pm

22. Her Bad Mother said,

Will totally be watching. May have to organize a ‘wet’ playdate get-together to view it after it airs, even.

Again, my whole issue this is that it’s been passed off (by the Today Show) as reasonable debate – *shouldn’t* we be talking about moms who drink? – when it really seems to be about provocation – provoking women to judge each other counter-productively. (As opposed to the oh-so-productive judging that *I* do…)

| February 3, 2007 @ 12:20 am