Stars in LA

I had a celebrity sighting today. I was in the mall and saw Kato Kaelin.

Yes, it’s true. I’m not making it up to be really cool, exaggerating my life to snare more readers and possibly get Blogher to come and put an ad on my site for feminine hygiene products. But before I could pat myself on the back for this coop, I had to stop and think to myself, “thrilling as it may be to see Kato live and in person, it may not qualify as a celebrity sighting anymore.” My husband, in fact, told me he doesn’t believe it counts. But then again, he was proud because he spotted “the dumb girl from the Bacardi commercial” at the Burbank airport. So, I can’t trust him on this issue.

It’s hard to know where to draw the line when you live in a city that’s crawling with working actors, wanna-be actors, reality tv cretins and bonafide celebrities. I mean, three days ago I saw Harry Hamlin and didn’t even blink an eye because I knew right away that didn’t count. If LA Law was still on the air maybe but still doubtful. Possibly, the reason I even considered Kato a celeb sighting is the sheer shock value of it. Seemingly out of nowhere, his blow-dried head appeared from the counter of Wetzel’s Pretzels. He was accompanied by two women fully made up and wearing heels. High heels in a mall is a strange sight. It’s hard enough on your feet to stroll around in a pair of Keds on those concrete floors. Wearing a spiked heel would feel like performing Hari Kari on myself. Or at least, I’d want to. Anyway, it was immediately apparent I was staring straight at Kato “famous houseguest” Kaelin.

After I got over the shock and went into the numbness of acceptance, I started wondering about something. There has to be a reason that Kato still sports the same exact Leif Garrett blow dry look he became known for in 1995. I started thinking that I guess you’d have to. If you go changing your look, who’s going to know it’s you – KATO – famous for nothing? If say, Tootie from Fact of Life changes her look, when she stars in another sitcom we all know it’s her. But Kato would have to get himself involved in another scandal if he had a totally new look. So I guess I get it now. And that is why I’m going to continue to wear banana clips in my hair even though I was recently told that they are so far out of style that they’re like the gauchos of hair accessories. But, hey, how will anyone know it’s my hair?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on September 26, 2006 9:32 pmUncategorized21 comments

1. Denise said,

I love star sightings! The cheesier the better, I say. Have to disagree with Jon on this one. Given the freak factor, I’d say it was a sighting, albeit a minor one. Plus, criusin’ the mall with two ho’s in heels adds an entertainment element. And about Harry Hamlin: isn’t he married (or was) to that Lisa “I’ve Got Ridiculously Gigantic Lips” Rinna chick that bugs the daylights outta me? Since I live in the back of beyond, any of these sightings adds excitement to my day.

| September 27, 2006 @ 12:11 am

2. Lena said,

He totally is keeping that crap mullet going so people recognize him. I’m nauseas just looking at that stock photo.

Now…tell me about the pretzel. Did you get the cheese sauce? Mmmmm.

| September 27, 2006 @ 12:45 am

3. jennster said,

LOL- he so does not count! sorry! lol

| September 27, 2006 @ 12:53 am

4. Andrea said,

Ha! That’s funny that Tootie could move on but Kato can’t. Yes, look what happened to Justin Guarini (the first American Idol runner up) when he cut his giant fro. He ruined his image and fell off the map.

| September 27, 2006 @ 1:22 am

5. sweatpantsmom said,

When I saw that picture? I thought it was Leif Garrett.

Poor Kato. And to think O.J. named his dog after him.

| September 27, 2006 @ 7:41 am

6. Heather said,

Some day I’ll have to do a post about when Roscoe and I watched stars on the red carpet. Not the red carpet, but a red carpet for oscar parties. The Vanity Fair party handed out hats so we were using ours to snag autographs and before we knew it Cory Feldman grabbed our hat and signed it. We didn’t ask him to. He just did. I think the value of our Vanity Fair hat dramatically dropped.

| September 27, 2006 @ 10:43 am

7. Jenny said,

Once Morngan Freeman smiled at me in the airport.

It was awesome!

| September 27, 2006 @ 2:15 pm

8. surcie said,

You just know Kato will Google himself and find this. Hey Kato!

When my in-laws lived in the valley, it felt like we couldn’t spit without hitting someone at least pseudo-famous (not that I’m a spitter). Living here’s another story. People think they’ve spotted big a celeb when they notice the local news anchor at Arbys. Which is why I’m currently on the lookout for Travolta. It’s rumored that he’s building a house nearby. If I see a Boeing 707 land in the ‘hood, I’ll blog about it.

| September 27, 2006 @ 7:17 pm

9. toyfoto said,

I would have to say Kato is a celeb. Perhaps not A-list, but a celebrity all the same. I say if you are recognizable by folks who didn’t rent you a guest house personally, you’ve made it.

Or something.

| September 27, 2006 @ 9:17 pm

10. gmcountrymama said,

My husband had his first celeb sighting the other day. He saw Debra Messing on his way to work in Manchester Vermont. I am not sure if he really did or not. He is not good at faces. But he was really excited so I didnt remind him of this.
    Are gouchos really out? Most People here think the latest mock turtleneck from LL Bean is high fashion and overhauls are ok to wear as casual dress.I have to rely on my soap opera or The Today Show to know whats in.

| September 27, 2006 @ 10:35 pm

Harry Hamlin no longer a celeb?
    Sweetie, you obviously did not watch the last 2 seasons of Veronica Mars!
    What, do you have a toddler or something?

| September 28, 2006 @ 1:46 am

12. Haley-O said,

oooo “cretin” — good word!

Harry Hamlin’s a celebrity siting — he’s one of the “celebrities” on Dancing With the Stars (as bad as that show is, especially after an awesome season of So You Think You Can Dance — but I digress, don’t I).

Good on you for wearing a banana clip. I haven’t worn one since high school. Very brave of you ;).

| September 28, 2006 @ 3:42 am

13. Ruth Dynamite said,

What? Banana clips are passe? But skinny jeans and big sweaters are in again so…

Just the idea of Kato makes me cringe.

| September 28, 2006 @ 10:50 am

14. scarbie doll said,

I was so eyeballing banana clips in the drug store the other day. Was thinking, Hey, if the 80s are back, why not banana clips?

Bring ’em back woman! Bring ’em back!

| September 29, 2006 @ 12:15 am

15. Teena said,

Kato counts. I wouldn’t put him on the A or B or even C list, but he counts.

| September 29, 2006 @ 2:03 am

16. surcie said,

Stefanie! While my hairdresser was coloring my hair this morning, I was flipping through the Oct. 9th issue of US. I read the “Fashion Police” pages to her, and we laughed over the remark about J. Garafalo. I was so surprised to turn the page and see that you are THAT Wilder! Your comments were great. What a cool gig.

| September 30, 2006 @ 7:04 pm

17. feliciak said,

I totally get that if you live in some areas it doesn’t count as much. I’ve seen Michael Ian Black at my son’s gymnastics, Chris Elliot at Stop n Shop and Robert Vaughn driving his old Rolls around, just in the last year. We have a lot of C and D level celebs where I live…but of course I don’t see Paul Newman (who I would still count as A list) when he’s in town for a party.
    Now, if you saw a celebrity every day for six years BEFORE they were a celebrity, does that count? Because I’ve got about a gagillion Cindy Crawford sightings, then.

| September 30, 2006 @ 9:30 pm

18. Mrs. T said,

I have had few star sightings, but the one I think is the funniest was when I saw Steven Segal in the French Quarter in New Orleans- and I had no clue as to who he was. When I told people later, I kept having to ask my boyfriend, “Who’d we see? Oh, yeah!”
    And I have to agree with the others, Kato doesn’t count. Love the image of him with the hair and the 2 babes in high heels, though.

| October 1, 2006 @ 7:22 pm

19. Izzy said,

Kato, Leif Garrett and Tootie all in one post? Why it’s veritable cornucopia of has-beendom!

And world’s most famous houseguest though he may be, I don’t think Kato counts as a celebrity.

| October 3, 2006 @ 5:10 am

20. Heather said,

Hah! I have to admit I might be with your husband on this one – but I guess if I recognize the name, then he’s still famous. Poor Kato, unable to move on.

| October 4, 2006 @ 12:22 am

21. MrsFortune said,

Hey, was Jeff Gillooly (sp?) with him? Or maybe Amy Fisher? Long Island Lolita herself?

Yeah, I’m with Jen. Doesn’t count, although an amusing anecdote.

| October 6, 2006 @ 2:16 am