Crouptastic

So my delicate little flower has the croup. No, not my vagina, my daughter. Up until now, I was hardly croup savvy. In fact the only knowledge I had about it was from seeing Debra Winger struggle through it in Terms of Endearment. Remember Debra grabbing the baby and sitting in the steamy bathroom all night trying to get him to stop coughing? And then after all that her husband goes and screws someone else? And then she DIES? But I digress. Doesn’t it seem just from the name that croup would’ve gone out with Little House on the Prairie? I mean, it’s called THE croup. It just sounds so old fashioned and unhip to get a virus the has a “the” in front of it at this point. But, that’s what she got as far as I could tell from the seal barking cough that came on like a freight train by night and was hardly noticable by day.
I sort of thought that some good old Triaminic for kids would be acceptable but when I called the pediatrician to check it out I was told to come in to the office. So I presented my child the same day and was sent home with a prescription for a steroid. Here’s the problem: the steroid apparently has a little known side effect of causing a baby to completely hype the fuck out! Or maybe it’s well known but the on-call doc at the office “forgot” to tell me. E was bouncing off the walls and didn’t sleep a wink all day. Exactly what you want a sick child to be doing – not sleeping. So I called the doc and let them know the sitch and she told me to skip the evening dose. Really? I would’ve thought that giving the baby a speedy drug would be the perfect nightcap. I did indeed skip it and I’ve skipped it every night since.
I will say that that’s not the reason I haven’t been blogging as often. I will share that reason with everyone who reads this in depth very soon. It’s nothing too bad. Let’s just say that my blog is being monitored…oooh….spooky.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on August 5, 2006 8:54 pmUncategorized26 comments

1. sunshine scribe said,

I hope she feels better soon. I remember my brother had the croup when he was a baby. Not fun. At all.

Hang in there.

| August 7, 2006 @ 11:27 am

2. Mom101 said,

I hope by now she’s over it. I agree, all the The illnesses sound terrible: The croup, the the measles, the clap.

Glad your vagina’s okay too.

| August 7, 2006 @ 1:19 pm

3. Andrea said,

Ooh, now you have me curious. Not about your vagoogoo but about your lurker.

I hope your little one feels better soon.

And Terms of Endearment? I know! I KNOW! I couldn’t believe she died. But she might’ve known better before marrying someone named Flap. Rhymes with THE Clap.

| August 7, 2006 @ 1:41 pm

4. Emily said,

My daughter just go over THE CROUP (it always feels like it should be BIG letters as well has having the “the” in front). She gets it twice a year every year. It started when she was about 1 and she’s 6 now. She did the steroid thing the first time but it didn’t do squat so we quit that. Now we just do the steam in the bathroom and ride it out. That’s pretty much all you can do.

Good luck!

| August 7, 2006 @ 1:55 pm

5. Erin said,

Oh, I feel your pain. Last summer, P went to bed one night feeling fine and woke up at 1 a.m. with a high fever and that horrible barking cough. We were terrified, having no experience with croup anymore (and I’d forgotten about Terms of Endearment), and took him to the children’s hospital ER. It was 4 a.m. when they finally decided that yep, it was croup, and then another hour before they gave him the steroids. So we headed home at 5 a.m. with a child who’s slept a grand total of 4 hours that night and is now hyped up, and parents who hadn’t gone to bed until midnight and hadn’t slept since 1 a.m. It was a miserable experience. Especially since his fever spiked even higher the next night (somewhere over 104) and off we went to the ER again.

Hope she’s feeling better now–croup sucks.

| August 7, 2006 @ 2:11 pm

6. gingajoy said,

yikes–that sounds horrible. and the no sleep thing–ugh. (reminds me of time i used benadryl to get son to sleep on transatlantic flight. I WAS PUNISHED. he was more hyper than ever.)

pussy-croup–a real bitch, but nothing that a little natural yoghurt can’t cure (wear old knickers).

i was wondering why you were not blogging–i am very curious to know what the dealio is.

| August 7, 2006 @ 3:16 pm

7. ESB said,

sorry about the kid…..

and i’m having a similar lurker issue as you, and it’s halted my own blogging, as well…..not sure what to do about it, so i’ve done nothing….blah!

| August 7, 2006 @ 4:56 pm

8. KTP said,

“Vagoogoo! “

You have witty readers.

I am an ass for not calling you. Call me!

| August 7, 2006 @ 5:16 pm

9. Denise said,

I’ve always wondered about the THE. Like, why is there a college called The School for Assholes, I mean THE Citadel?
    Sorry about your travails. Just remember, Mommy needs her medicine too….

| August 7, 2006 @ 5:28 pm

10. surcie said,

Having a case of “the sh*ts” is pretty bad, too. But I doubt that Half Pint ever had that affliction.

Now that your girl is no longer high, I hope she’s able to get some rest.

| August 7, 2006 @ 6:24 pm

11. Haley-O said,

Ugh. My blog’s being monitored, too. I can totally see it on my site metre. Dumbasses!

My friend’s baby had THE croupe and was given that steroid, too. I don’t think he experienced the same side effect….Sounds brutal! Poor YOU! I hope she’s better now.

| August 7, 2006 @ 10:44 pm

12. snarflemarfle said,

One more for ya…THE Rota Virus. My little X-man is dealing with that right now and his diapers can fuse my nose hairs together!

Hope your little one gets better soon!

| August 7, 2006 @ 10:59 pm

13. Oblivious Maven said,

Hope your little one will be better soon.

And I’ve been monitoring your site to see when you’d update. I’m harmless. Promise.

Other than me, hope your lurker is an exciting news type lurker.

| August 8, 2006 @ 2:58 am

14. GIRL'S GONE CHILD said,

I was wondering when you were going to post again. I’m waving at your stalker (waves)… Do you see me, stalker.

The croup sounds like a band name, not an illness. Hope your lil miss is on the mend.

| August 8, 2006 @ 3:02 am

15. crabbykate said,

ooohhh..I am too curious about big brother watching you. You better spill the beans soon or I will die from curiousity. No seriously, I do need to know. That’s how small my world has become – I depend on internet friends to give me fulfillment.

| August 8, 2006 @ 3:07 am

16. Binkytown said,

sorry about the croup. That totally sucks. It should be better after a day or two, are we better yet? Hang in there..

| August 8, 2006 @ 1:39 pm

17. jali said,

Hope your baby is better. It’s the scariest sounding thing in the world in the early morning hours.

Who is doing this monitoring?

| August 8, 2006 @ 1:50 pm

18. Jen said,

Oh the poor babe! And poor you, I like the kind of baby meds that let them sleep!! Not make them more hyper than normal!!!

| August 8, 2006 @ 2:57 pm

19. Jess Riley said,

so sorry to hear about Elby…hope she’s feeling better soon! And what’s up with the blog being monitored?!?! Wow.

I love a good mystery.

| August 8, 2006 @ 4:51 pm

20. Neil said,

I’m sorry about your daughter. I know you’ll nurse her back to health!

| August 8, 2006 @ 5:08 pm

21. MrsFortune said,

I didn’t know that was a real thing. The croup. I thought it was fake, like “the boogey man.” I hope your delicate flower is well again soon. And WTF? You’re being watched?

| August 8, 2006 @ 6:20 pm

22. Lena said,

Ooooh, poor E! Do tell – what’s up???

| August 8, 2006 @ 7:12 pm

23. stephanie said,

Croup is fucking scary when you experience it the first time. I thought my kid was dying!! Holy crap, sorry the litte one had to suffer through it.

Monitored? WTF? You.must.spill.

(No, I didn’t read anyone else’s comments before posting this, so sorry if I’m duplicative.)

| August 9, 2006 @ 7:16 pm

24. Mary Tsao said,

My kids have never had the croup, but I think I might have it now. My vagina feels fine, though. Odd.

I want to know more about your secret! Do tell!

| August 12, 2006 @ 3:55 am

25. sweatpantsmom said,

Ooh – we skipped The Croup but my two girls and I all got The Chicken Pox together, which was a lot of fun.

I’m on the edge of my seat, waiting to hear about your stalker. Remember, if you get a phone call saying, “He’s in your house” make sure you scream and run.

(And I am laughing hysterically at Andrea’s comment – I think ‘vagoogoo’ is the best name, ever.)

| August 16, 2006 @ 2:18 am

Keep up the good work
    large penis sucker tiffany teen nude american airlines shaved beavers credit score Brs pilates Shaved pussy pagents Credit cards market research

| October 8, 2006 @ 2:34 am