Go Steffi, it’s almost yo birthday!

So, it’s July 4th otherwise known as the day before I turn 40. I’ve been thinking about it a lot. I know it’s just a number, right? In fact, my therapist told me that “life begins at 40.” My first thought was I think she should have that embroidered on a pillow and then shove that pillow up her ass. I wonder if she used to have a business making buttons or silk screening t-shirts like “Official Bikini Inspector” or “Mustache rides 5 cents.” The woman obviously has talent. But hold on, I believe she actually stole this quote. Seriously, is that therapy?

There is no way this guy is forty either. Or not on heroin. Totally false advertising.

For me I think life begins when you’re born again through the love of Jesus Christ. Oh wait, I’m Jewish. Never mind. Maybe life begins when you finally lose that last 10 pounds!! Or when you have an A HA moment in the audience at the Oprah show. Whenever my life truly begins, I definitely want some sort of notification. I mean, I was pretty sure I was living my life but maybe not until tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow is going to be truly altering. Will I wake up and feel like, oh my God! It’s begun! I am finally completely alive – and then immediately go for a hike or rock climbing and commune with nature in all it’s glory? I have to say no. I’m never going rock climbing unless the rock is in my backyard. No loading up the car for this gal.

If i’m being honestI think everything is good right now. Yes, I have a few more lines around my eyes and this weird brown age/sun spot thing on my cheek that’s probably not cancerous but it’s nothing that a major face lift or harsh chemical peel couldn’t fix right up. And I have a the sweetest, funniest husband and a baby who is pretty darn adorable (if she gets Dora exactly when she wants – which is more and more often).

So I’m very content which I’m pretty sure is the new happy. And although I’ll still pay my therapist, I believe life is already here.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on July 4, 2006 8:20 pmUncategorized42 comments

1. Rhea said,

I agree, it’s kinda dumb to pay a therapist to utter platitudes like “Life Begins at 40.” But I wanted to say I enjoyed yer post. And don’t worry. I turned 40, too. OK, 7 or 8 years ago. But it was OK. I am actually happier than I was earlier in my life. So my theory is, if your earlier life sucked, the 40s can actually look great in comparison. One thing I’ve noticed about my women friends who are 40+. They no longer care what people think of them. WOW!

| July 4, 2006 @ 9:07 pm

2. stephanie said,

I’ll be right there with ya in December Stef. I’ll lift my wine glass in a toast to you at midnight tonite, actually gotta work tomorrow, I’ll do it tomorrow nite :)

Have an amazing birthday!!

| July 4, 2006 @ 9:20 pm

3. Heather said,

This was an awesome post. Forty is the new black, or the new twenty, or the new sexy or something like that. Whatever it is, happy birthday.

| July 4, 2006 @ 11:54 pm

4. sarah said,

Happy almost birthday!

Perhaps for a present to yourself, you splurge and get yourself a new therapist–one who doesn’t sound like she’s basing her practice on the fortune cookies she cracks open as her clients are coming through the door

| July 5, 2006 @ 2:05 am

5. ESB said,

Forty is the new thirty! I totally empathize. I too will turn 40 this year (in Sept.) and have been rather obsessed myself….it’s a strange thing. I actually started using eye cream about a month ago–and it really works! That, being carded less freqently and called “Ma’am” more are the only real changes, though.

But back to you. Happy Birthday! Have a fantastic day…Do something crazy!

| July 5, 2006 @ 4:58 am

6. Andrea said,

Happy Birthday! You do sound like you have it figured out. Maybe you could give your therapist some pointers on her delivery. Yours here is far better than her mild, “Life begins at 40.”

| July 5, 2006 @ 2:01 pm

7. Denise said,

Happy Birthday, Stef!! Being 40 is fun, just like being 30 was fun, and being 20 was fun. It’s different fun, for sure, but fun nonetheless. Here’s to a great year! Cheers!

| July 5, 2006 @ 2:03 pm

8. surcie said,

Could she BE any more darling? Happy Birthday, Stefanie! As my gift to you, I had the comment thing on my blog fixed. No need to thank me. ; )

| July 5, 2006 @ 3:41 pm

9. jali said,

Happy B-day! (if the dogs in your neighborhood start howling, know that it’s because I’m singing the B-day song to you)

Your post is H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S! Thanks you.

| July 5, 2006 @ 4:06 pm

10. angrymama said,

Happy Birthday, Stef!
    I saved your post for when I turn 40 (in 3 years!)

Mind if I drink one for you?

| July 5, 2006 @ 4:33 pm

11. mothergoosemouse said,

I’m totally hooked now. I think I love you.

And happy birthday!

| July 5, 2006 @ 5:07 pm

12. gingajoy said,

i’ve heard that 40 is the new prepubescent tweener, so there you go…live it up.

happy birthday, lady.

| July 5, 2006 @ 7:58 pm

13. stephanie said,

Happy birthday, bitch! :)

*Kisses*

| July 5, 2006 @ 8:11 pm

14. Kelly said,

Happy Birthday! Love your post today.

| July 5, 2006 @ 10:44 pm

15. Jess Riley said,

First, happy freakin’ birthday!!! Second, you are hilarious. Third, Elby is SOOOO CUTE. I’ll toast you with some wine tonight to celebrate your 40th.

| July 5, 2006 @ 11:24 pm

16. Domestic Chicky said,

Count me in for 40 in August. 30 was much easier for me to deal with. But 40 with toddlers does have its advantages…and as soon as I remember them, I will let you know!

| July 6, 2006 @ 3:24 am

17. Lena said,

OMG – your daughter is so freaking adorable! When can my daughter come over and they can fight over toys? And we can fight over wine?

| July 6, 2006 @ 5:12 am

18. sunshine scribe said,

Happy 40th!

I love this post. Really loved it.

And, ya, I beleive content is the new happy.

| July 6, 2006 @ 2:59 pm

19. nikki said,

I’m a first time reader and you made me snort my diet coke up my nose. I hope you have a good birthday and that you’re not paying your therapist a lot.

And your daughter is gorgeous!

| July 6, 2006 @ 3:38 pm

20. nonlineargirl said,

Happy birthday!

Now about that spot on your cheek…maybe it’s just residue from feeding the girl?

| July 6, 2006 @ 4:13 pm

21. Mom101 said,

What a lovely tribute to your bad self. Hope it was a great forty.

You don’t write a day over 21.

| July 6, 2006 @ 11:55 pm

22. Haley-O said,

Happy Birthday! I believe they also say 40 is “fabulous”! I hope you had a fabulous day yesterday and that you feel forever fabulous! Your daughter’s adorable, by the way!!

| July 7, 2006 @ 2:34 am

23. sarcastic journalist said,

So your therapist also has the “Big book of life quotes.” Does she ask you how old your inner child is?

My inner child wants a mustache ride.

Happy birthday. 40? I’m honestly shocked.

| July 7, 2006 @ 4:40 am

24. V-Grrrl said,

Life begins when you catch up on laundry…over 40…still waiting.

: )

| July 7, 2006 @ 7:27 am

25. Oblivious Maven said,

What was is that James Spader told Rob Lowe, or vice versa, when he was on Ellen. When one of them told the other one that 40 was the new 30? It was a cute comeback? Anyone, anyone?

| July 7, 2006 @ 10:05 pm

26. Ruth Dynamite said,

I’m forty in 33 days, not that I’m counting or anything.

And I don’t act a day over 14.

| July 8, 2006 @ 3:04 am

27. nila said,

You make 40 look so good!! It must be the new 30.
    Happy Birthday from a fellow Cancer.

| July 8, 2006 @ 7:51 am

28. sweatpantsmom said,

Happy Birthday!

And 40 is the new black! Or was it black is the new plaid? Or is it leather is the new 40? Either way, have an awesome day, and drink for me.

| July 8, 2006 @ 9:38 am

29. Misfit Hausfrau said,

I HATE hearing cliche lines like that–I would have demanded my money back for that session.

Hope you had a great birthday!

| July 8, 2006 @ 10:33 am

30. Joel said,

enjoyed the post…since I am now 40+7 I will be the first to endorse the concept that the 40’s are a stellar period of life. Of course given my proximity to the next rung on the age ladder I’m starting to rethink that position, opting instead for the mindset that “life begins (instead) at 50.” Hey, we all need carrots, right?

| July 9, 2006 @ 1:20 pm

31. Her Bad Mother said,

Life begins whenever you say it does. That is, if you don’t agree that begins sometime around whenever it was that you pooped out of your mama’s hoo-hoo. Beyond that, it’s your call.

Happy b-day!

| July 10, 2006 @ 4:44 pm

32. Wendy said,

dudette..you back yet?! we are fellow Cancers together – Jul 10 here – i hope you are having a wonderful b’day week celeb – just remember…we get interesting as the years pass – that’s gotta count for something right?

| July 11, 2006 @ 1:19 am

33. drstaceyny said,

You’re such a funny writer! Happy birthday. . .

| July 11, 2006 @ 2:15 am

34. Carrcakes said,

Happy birthday and oh my god, can I steal her?

| July 11, 2006 @ 2:25 pm

35. lildb said,

when someone intones the words “life begins … ” I pick my heels up and flee the scene. fuck that. I’m pretty sure my pulse existed prior to the intro to your cheap cliche, bitch.

p.s. happy birthday, you sassy-pants forty-year-old.

p.p.s. life begins at drunk.

| July 12, 2006 @ 5:53 pm

36. Waya said,

Happy glorious b-day to you! Although a little belated. I have 3 more years to go and then, not sure how I’d feel.

But I am on the same boat with you with all these dark spots on my cheeks. If you find someone who can remove them…let me know. I’m so being punished now for skipping class to sunbathe and men watch in college!

| July 12, 2006 @ 6:06 pm

37. crabbykate said,

OK, I love ya and all, and yes happy birthday and bloggity blog blog, but um where’s a new post? Jesus.

| July 13, 2006 @ 1:14 am

38. Lena said,

Where’ve you been friend?

| July 15, 2006 @ 7:14 pm

I think you missed the point of the picture of the guy in the t-shirt — “life begins at forty” is referring to the picture of the “40 ounce” beer in the paper bag behind the words…

| July 16, 2006 @ 1:56 pm

40. Stefanie said,

The last person who left a comment here is so right. It is a 40 oz. in the BG. I didn’t even notice. I just thought it was supposed to be ironic like those Jesus candles or Happy Bunny t-shirts. I was wrong. Point well taken.

| July 18, 2006 @ 8:20 pm

41. annie said,

Your therapist actually used that lame line? That’s like a guy coming up to you at the bar and asking “What’s your sign, baby?”
    Ugh. I’d fire her on the spot.
    Anyway, (with no reference to my own age) I think life is better now than when I was 20-something. Part of it is just dumb luck and circumstances, part maturity and making better choices.
    And now, to have the luck and choice to start saving for a facelift.

| July 19, 2006 @ 4:57 pm