When I was a lot younger, okay, before my 19 month-old was born, I had a job. Yes, I was part of that group of society that gets paid in actual money not just in inner kudos at my wonderful parenting skills. I actually made a nice salary which I used to buy things like sushi, CD’s, books and the occasional wax.

Now, not only do we as a family have less income but we have waaaaay more shopping time. Isn’t that the worst? I go to Target every other day for diapers or food or an inflatable pool and spend money that I’m not making.

The worst part of not having a job is not the lack of income actually. It’s the lack of stimulation and that’s why I look forward to Monday the way I used to look forward to Friday when I had a job. Yes, Monday actually brings phone calls and emails. Monday brings with it the possibility of employment and the lack of a crowd at the grocery store and Target. Just me and the other moms who are home with their shorties. I crave Mondays. I’m like a poster of the kitty with a bowl of spaghetti on it’s head only with the caption “Thank God It’s Monday.” YES MONDAY! Monday bring My Gym, coffee afterward and the availability of my friends with babies who spend the weekends with their husbands (who have jobs). Monday is a great day. I actually showered tonight just to prepare myself for the busy day I might possibly have tomorrow. I might get a phone call! Or mail! Or…one can only pray, a FED EX!!!!

Life as a SAHM gets pretty slow on the weekends. My husband is a writer and weekends for him are no different from weekdays so he’s not always available for a walk in the park or the zoo or some other place that is annoying on the weekend anyway.

I brought my daughter to the park today and it was pure work. Waaaay too many people. Bring on Monday morning!! Please. I need a job. Stat.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 12, 2006 3:39 amUncategorized19 comments

1. Stuntmother said,

I identified with this post a great deal. My husband is a PhD student so we too had the no day is an automatic weekend phenomenon. Until we FORCED the issue and I said that there was damn well going to be some predictible family time or I was going to wig out.

The blending of all days into one long stream — and the relative greyness of a Sunday without the possibility of packages — and how you can’t call your friends because they’re all having “family time” — makes weekends as a parent torturous.

At least it’s Monday now.

| June 12, 2006 @ 12:03 pm

2. stephanie said,

Is it Friday yet?

Just kidding :)

| June 12, 2006 @ 3:24 pm

3. Wendy said,

A-freaking-men..I do the Target run 1-2x a week and wonder how come I spend $80 when i just went in for diapers? Money that i totally don’t have – and you’re right – sometimes it’s just because you can’t play Legos one more time..so you go to the store – it’s a vicious cycle..well it’s Monday now..i hope your day is getting better!

| June 12, 2006 @ 4:00 pm

4. ESB said,

i know what you mean; my husband is a phd student, like stuntmother’s (though that will be over soon) AND he works at night (including saturdays)…our family time is rarely on saturdays, and sunday is usually spent passed out on on the couch. i crave a normal weekly 9-5 schedule for this household, though. and, for me, going to my flex-time job during the week is my time to RELAX and have time to myself.

| June 12, 2006 @ 4:18 pm

5. Trish said,

What truth!
    I want to appreciate, well I do appreciate, getting to stay home with the kids, but I soooo miss my ‘other’ life.
    Thanks for sharing that. btw your pictures are great and I enjoyed reading your blog, great writing!

| June 12, 2006 @ 5:08 pm

6. Denise said,

stef, occaisionally i really stir things up and alternate my trips to target with trips to costco. i’m zany, i know….

| June 12, 2006 @ 6:18 pm

7. gingajoy said,

ha! I’m sitting here at my work desk cracking up. yesterday hubs and I (who both work) had a conversation about how Sundays are a bit depressing–rich with the faded promise of weekend bliss. i like the structure, but i hate all the cramming of “quality time” and chores, and shopping all into 2 days. I’d like to cram them into 3-4 days instead:)

| June 12, 2006 @ 6:30 pm

8. AngiR said,

I totally miss working. I can’t wait to go back to work and talk to people about something else besides when to take the sippy cup away.

| June 12, 2006 @ 6:35 pm

9. sarah said,

absolutely!! I used to get Sunday blues around 4pm every Sunday of my life–now, I get excited that it’s finally almost Monday. What is that about??!!

Oh, and I bought your book; it looks fabulous on my coffee table–now all I need is some free time to read a page or two of it…

| June 13, 2006 @ 1:31 am

10. sunshine scribe said,

That is a great post. I am a desparate for Friday kinda girl myself since my son is in school and I am back at work full time. But I remember my love-affair with Mondays fondly …

| June 13, 2006 @ 3:05 pm

11. Taira said,

this is too true!! its great to know im not the only one to think these things. sometimes i even dread the thought of having to go to the store especially during the end of a pay cycle because i know i’ll go even more nuts and buy things that aren’t necessarily needful and end up spending way too much money that i dont have.
    and i hear you about the weekends thing. no one calls, emails, and the mail doesnt come. sometimes i check my email 100 times a day on the weekends just to see if someone will send a quick note. but its always empty, but by Monday something always comes!!! Well, at least my People Magazine does. hehe

| June 13, 2006 @ 4:29 pm

12. Psychobabble said,

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe volunteering a couple hours a week would provide a little interaction for you…and then you get the “doing good” fuzzies too;)

| June 13, 2006 @ 8:57 pm

13. Stefanie said,

Psycho, you make a good point. Unfortunately, who would watch the baby while I’m out being a do-gooder? Aah, that’s the catch-22.

| June 13, 2006 @ 9:00 pm

14. Ruth Dynamite said,

It’s Target’s fault. The place has a giant bulls eye on it – how can you not end up there?

| June 14, 2006 @ 12:16 am

15. Lena said,

We both work at home too. So, I get excited every Friday night and then…Saturday is oddly exactly like the rest of my week! Except minus my friends who are (gag) enjoying their husbands. Whatever.

Totally feel you on this.

Hey- whenever you’re interested in shopping at, say, Irvine’s Target let me know! 😉

| June 14, 2006 @ 4:05 am

16. Carrcakes said,

Only Manic Mondays here. SAHMs should launch a marketing campaign around TGIM. I think you’re on to something here.

| June 15, 2006 @ 1:21 pm

17. Misfit Hausfrau said,

I so wish I was local.

| June 16, 2006 @ 2:26 am

18. scarbie doll said,

Working 3 days a week, if only to have random reality TV chat by the water cooler, does make you a tad more sane. (only a tad though — not enough to go off meds)

Me thinks you need to be the star of a show or maybe they’d hire you to write for the Mommies Who Drink HBO show? You seem like staff writer material.

| June 16, 2006 @ 6:56 pm