The Job Hunt is On! Oh Yeah, It’s On!

Time for another bloggy blog. Sometimes I get lazy. I don’t know if you’ve noticed that. I’m not one of those every day bloggers god bless ’em. Maybe I don’t have as much to say. Maybe I’m lazy. It’s certainly not because I’m waaay to busy working on my clay models of Kelly Clarkson.. Every get drunk during the day just because? Yeah, me neither. Do you ever wash down a couple of Tylenol with a swig of Pinot Grigio? Me neither. That would be a cry for help! Speaking of cries for help, my bank account is all “hey when are you going to feed me? I know you have a cute little child that loves having all your attention but my numbers are getting soooo low :(” To be fair, my bank account would never be so uncool as to do a sad face emoticon but you get the point. So, to placate my bank account because I’m such a pushover and I don’t think in LA the one income thing works as well as possibly other areas of the country even is said one income is decent, I’ve been going on some job interviews. Job interviews are weird cause you can never really be honest. No one wants to hear after they ask “Tell me a few of your weaknesses,” you responding “Well, sometimes I tend to take things that don’t belong to me. Like the rest of a co-workers birthday cake or a Xerox machine. Hmm…also, not much of a team player. I find most people to be quite in adept at doing their jobs, and I tend to need constant supervision. If you’re not keeping a sharp eye on me, I’ll probably just be fucking around on the internet or making long distance phone calls.”

“Okay, what about your strenghts?” “Oh! Well, number one – I’m very very sexy. Number two, I’m never afraid to leave a job at the spur of the moment for another job with less hours. Oh and I can really hold my liquor. Hey, you wouldn’t know it but I’m drunk right now!”

So, that style of interview wouldn’t exactly guarantee you the job. You have to be all “I’m a perfectionist….blah blah blah. I love nothing more than working an 80 hour week! I’ve never made love to an animal….Come on!

This is why I don’t go on a lot of interviews. Luckily in my field I can afford to be a been more irreverant all in the name of “I’m joking around.”

I’ll keep you posted on when and if I get a job. I’ve had many interviews but nothing firm as of yet. I’ll hate to leave my baby at home but then again, she’s not a baby anymore. She can say NO just like the rest of us.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on June 28, 2006 9:00 pmUncategorized26 comments

1. Mich said,

Hi Stefanie–I just stumbled onto your blog and you are cracking me up!

Good luck with the job search….I went back to work with a 7 month old this spring…I hate to admit it, but it’s kind of nice to have a place to go in the morning….

| June 28, 2006 @ 9:38 pm

2. Misfit Hausfrau said,

YAY! The ever-loving job interview. I am a huge hypocrite because I hate being interviewed, yet that is what I do for a living–I’m in HR.

I will be going back to work after we move–I think our blogs will be taking on a different tone!!!

| June 28, 2006 @ 9:54 pm

3. chichimama said,

Good luck…I always hated interviewing for similar reasons.

| June 29, 2006 @ 12:42 am

4. KTP said,

Hope it’s in NoHo or similar, so we can have a drink(s) after work. Lord knows I never make time for that at home.

| June 29, 2006 @ 1:07 am

5. mothergoosemouse said,

When I interviewed for the job I’m leaving on Friday, they asked me, “How do you cope with stress?”

I almost giggled. Because two answers popped into my head immediately, and neither one was appropriate. And as cool as my interviewers were, I couldn’t chance making a crack like I wanted to.

Good luck to you. Interviewing sucks rocks.

| June 29, 2006 @ 2:36 am

6. Trish said,

I loved reading that. I was giggling through the whole thing. You have a great sense of humor.
    What about when the interviewer says, “Tell me why we should hire you.”
    I hate that one.

| June 29, 2006 @ 3:27 am

7. stephanie said,

You go girl. They’ll be lucky to have you.

| June 29, 2006 @ 3:35 am

Dear Writer,

You write : ” I find most people to be quite inadept at doing their jobs.”

Is “inadept” a real word? Or is it latin for dipsomaniac?

| June 29, 2006 @ 7:01 am

9. sunshine scribe said,

Now that is damn funny. I interview a lot of people for my work and it would make my day to have some of those answers.

Good luck with the job search…

| June 29, 2006 @ 2:02 pm

10. jali said,

I feel for you. I really hate the interview process too.

From your writing I’ve learned that you’re sharp, witty and pretty cool.

You’ll be working for cash again soon!

| June 29, 2006 @ 3:41 pm

11. Oblivious Maven said,

Imagine your interviewers in their underwear. Worked for Marsha Brady upon getting her DL.

| June 29, 2006 @ 10:17 pm

12. Haley-O said,

Ha! Too funny….I can only imagine what you’d LIKE to put on your resume!

| June 30, 2006 @ 1:49 am

13. MrsFortune said,

LOL. I love that question, what are your weaknesses. Well, I’m a total slacker and all I do all day is read blogs. Also I drink a lot of coffee and rarely brush my teeth.

Good luck finding something.

| June 30, 2006 @ 2:23 am

14. Binkytown said,

Ive spent time interviewing people as well and I would find it so refreshing if someone actually answered those honestly. It would make me want to hire them! Good luck!

| June 30, 2006 @ 1:29 pm

15. Mom101 said,

I would actually try the very sexy response sometime. In your line of work, they just might bite.

| July 1, 2006 @ 12:30 pm

16. Mom101 said,

Dear anonymous:

The world is so much more fun for people who make up words than it is for people who get so stressed about said words that they get all shaky and twitchy and leave snotty anonymous comments about it on people’s blogs.

Love and kissosity (see how I made that up? I’m fun!)
    Mom101

| July 1, 2006 @ 12:33 pm

17. Stefanie said,

Wow, Mom 101 stuck up for me! How cooliscious is that? YAY Mom 101 you made my day.

| July 1, 2006 @ 1:43 pm

18. annie said,

Oh GOD, I HATE interview questions like those. In fact, it would make me not want to work for the person, if they’re such an un-original HACK.

Oh, and I would tell “anonymous” one of MY “made up” words, but I don’t know you too well and don’t know if you would approve of me using that kind of language on your blog.:)

| July 1, 2006 @ 5:20 pm

19. Jenny said,

Speaking as someone who worked in recruitment for many years…I would totally hire you. Being sexy would just be the bonus.

I once interviewed a guy who told me that his biggest strength was that he’d learned how to stick up for himself in prison.

In. prison.

I might have hired him had he been sexier.

| July 1, 2006 @ 7:58 pm

20. jennster said,

LMFAO0 omg.. you are too fucking funny. i think i love you.

| July 2, 2006 @ 3:53 am

21. Caryn said,

Oh, ick. I HATE interviews. Good luck with yours. My last one was uncomfortable because one of the two people interviewing me was a friend of mine–and one of my references! You’d think this would be a good thing, but it actually made me kind of uncomfortable. I loved your fake answers to interview questions, by the way. They had me laughing.

| July 2, 2006 @ 4:24 pm

22. surcie said,

If working outside the home means fewer blog posts from you, then I vote NO. (We do get a vote, don’t we?)

As for Anon. . .If inadept were a made up word, I wouldn’t know what it meant. But I totally got it, so there.

Stef, my blog loves you. I can’t explain what she’s doing with your personal info, but don’t take it personally. She does it to everyone. Teams of specialists currently are trying to fix the problem.

| July 2, 2006 @ 5:14 pm

23. crabbykate said,

I actually had someone once email me her “weaknesses” because she couldn’t think of them during a job interview with me. Isn’t that horrible? I fucking hate that question too, but my bitch-ass boss made me ask it.

| July 2, 2006 @ 11:27 pm

24. Neil said,

Why not just become a show-biz Mom and send your cute kid on auditions for cereal commercials. I say let kids pay their own way!

| July 3, 2006 @ 2:05 am

25. Izzy said,

What kind of job are you looking for, you sexy kleptomaniac?

| July 3, 2006 @ 2:11 am

26. Stefanie said,

Neil, you don’t think I’ve thought of that shit? read my blog. my child will be a star I tell you a star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| July 3, 2006 @ 3:55 am