Stupid things I spend time valuable time thinking about

Why do we still use the penny? I really don’t get it. You can’t buy anything for a penny. Not even penny candy. There’s not such thing anymore. I think we need to go to quarters as our smallest amount of change. Would that be easier? Streamlined? Who is saying “hey, let’s keep this penny thing going. I think it a good use of government money to make more pennies?” Stop making pennies! Remind me, I’ve got to call my local congressman about this.

Why do parking meters exist? Today I saw a government guy driving around having to empty the meters. Isn’t that more expensive than if parking was free but we could just have a parking tax that covers all parking. Think about the man power that has to go in to emptying meters! Insane.

Why does it seem like only shitty wine comes in the big bottles? I don’t want Gallo I want something better but since I drink a lot of it, I’d like to buy a bigger bottle and save money. Can we get someone on that?

Why does sushi usually have way too much rice under it? I mean, yes, I know what you’re thinking assholes “just order sashimi.” Duh. But I like the rice just not a bathtub full under my small piece of yellowtail.

Is there a God? Can’t some scientist someone get to the bottom of this once and for all so we can figure out who’s right?

Why do so many people believe in psychics? I don’t get this at all. Especially palm readers. Come on, admit it to yourself – It’s ridiculous. And even if you go to a regular psychic, and they make s predictions about your future like “a man is going to come into your life in the next 18 months.” why are you excited about that? WHO CARES? How does that help you in your life now? Put the eighty dollars away!

If anyone has answers please feel free to fill me in. Cause I’m stumped.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 19, 2006 3:05 amUncategorized16 comments

1. Lena said,

I actually THROW PENNIES AWAY. Like garbage. So, uh, I agree.

And as for the jug o’wine. Amen sister.

And the psychics…did you ever see “Reality Bites”?:
    “I’m getting an ‘N’ vibe.”
    “…Newstand! He worked at a newstand! Oh my God!”

LOL – Great post Stef.

| May 19, 2006 @ 4:46 am

2. Krisco said,

Okay, here’s something that will add fuel to your fire.

It now takes MORE THAN A PENNY to make each penny! Really, it does.

And Lena – geez, I can’t even throw away old paper clips, I’m not throwing away pennies. I have no use for them, but still. But it turns out you are not alone. Lots of people just leave them on the ground. Now that I’ve mentioned it, you’ll start seeing them. Everywhere.

| May 19, 2006 @ 5:04 am

3. Jess said,

Parking meters exists to make my life hell. See also, meter maids.

| May 19, 2006 @ 12:12 pm

4. Wendy said,

Were we, somehow, separated at birth? From the jug-o-crappy wine to the rice under the sushi – my husband always yells at me and says would you forget South Beach already!? NO! I like Sushi!! I don’t want sashimi!! just a little less please…crazy, Stef..and hysterical…

| May 19, 2006 @ 12:15 pm

5. Ruth Dynamite said,

Deep thoughts…

Have you tried that rooster wine? (Rex Goliath, I think?) It’s cheap and drinkable. But more cheap than drinkable. Comes in big bottles now.

| May 19, 2006 @ 9:15 pm

6. mommy on the verge said,

The answer to all these questions can be found in a mountaintop in Tibet, bring your baby backpack, it’s quite a hike!

| May 19, 2006 @ 10:42 pm

7. Mom101 said,

I’m all for a parking tax in LA (not NY where most of us don’t drive). But then you know, the parking space hogs will never leave and you’ll end up spending 9 bucks on a valet, right?

| May 19, 2006 @ 11:13 pm

8. surcie said,

Like Lena, I’m guilty of penny tossing. I heard that’s illegal so don’t tell anybody.

I do not believe that palm readers or the folks in Dionne Warwick’s Psychic Friends Network are the “real deal.” Nor am I into astrology. I’m fascinated, however, by that John Edward dude who communicates with the dead. That stuff scares the snot out of me.

As for the wine and raw fish, I can’t comment. I don’t like either. (I’m a margarita girl.)

| May 20, 2006 @ 1:25 am

9. jackt said,

Here’s one: Why do you have so many questions?! :)

Just found your blog…excellent stuff!

| May 20, 2006 @ 3:34 am

10. akeeyu said,

I once went to a palm reader for funsies and took a friend of mine who’d lost a finger in an accident. I was kind of disappointed that she didn’t give him a ten percent discount.

| May 20, 2006 @ 4:22 am

11. Amy said,

wow…i’m very glad i found my way to your blog… i’ve just realized that i am living an unexamined life… i don’t know the answer to a single one of these questions… let me ‘think on it’ and i’ll get back to you

| May 20, 2006 @ 5:16 pm

12. willowfae said,

I actually save up pennies and then do the whole CoinStar thing. I’m such a dork.

| May 21, 2006 @ 12:08 am

13. Jess Riley said,

My best friend is always going to have “readings” done. I poke tons of fun at her, so she doesn’t say much beyond this.

Once, about ten years ago, I went to a “psychic” just for kicks. She told me I should start journaling in a pink notebook with a dolphin on the cover. Also, that my guardian angel’s name was Tess.

You just can’t make this shit up.

| May 22, 2006 @ 5:15 pm

14. Cityslicker Mom said,

Yah, and I hate when I buy something for xx.99,because i never wantt he penny back. what am I going to do with it? But my guess for why we still use the penny is because retailers like to sell things for 9.99, and they’d have to be able to give correct change back, I guess!

| May 22, 2006 @ 10:46 pm

Keep up the good work
    » »

| August 12, 2006 @ 6:54 pm

16. azureavian said,

the answer to the penny question is, of course, so we have something that we aren’t guilty about throwing away to throw into wishing wells and fountains. cause, you know, wishes don’t come true unless you spend a little cash, eh?

| April 25, 2008 @ 5:53 am