So I Sit Here

I want to blog tonight. Really I do. But I had the same kind of day I often have. I woke up with the baby and sat her in front of Dora for awhile so I could drink my coffee and set about feeling guilty that I couldn’t think of good shit to do with her. She’s 18 months. She must be bored. Shit, I am. I briefly thought about taking her to the mall cause it’s so damn hot out that the park even at 9 a.m she is bound to end up in sunburn even with 100 spf all over her. Unfortunately she doesn’t tolerate the mall well and you know what, neither do I. Before I had a baby I had limited tolerance for malls. I have to know what I want and go procure it and get the hell home. Otherwise I’d risk the overstimulated feeling where I want to hurt someone. Usually someone who works at a cosmetics counter. There’s just something about them…snotty attitudes for people most probably making 7 dollars an hour. Although, I make nothing so how can I judge?

So what to do with my kid today? We wasted the entire morning inside building towers with Leggos, watching more Dora (guilt yes, brief free time also yes), a little trip out to the backyard to explore. We’ve only lived in this house for two years. Little did I know that an old gross mini trampoline was living in a corner of the yard. Hey, just like My Gym but with loads more bacteria! So there was five minutes of fun right there! And now it’s 9:00 a.m. Jesus. Guilt or no guilt we stayed home all morning and I mistakenly thought she’s still take a nap. Not so much. She said “You didn’t do jack shit with me this morning and now you expect me to sleep? Did you take your meds yesterday or what?” Well, she would have said that if she wasn’t BEHIND in her language for an 18-month-old. Yes, that’s what we found out at her check up but not to worry until she’s two. Of course now I’m crazy with trying to get her to say more words than Doggy and Baby which she says hundreds of times a day.

So, as you guessed it, the nap was short lived. She wasn’t that tired. I broke down and took her for a boring playdate. The woman I was visiting talked to her neighbor for an hour about preschool, elementary school even high school. HEY YOUR KID IS A YEAR AND A HALF! I know it’s competitive out there but this doesn’t constitute useful brain activity for me. So finally it’s home, dinner, bath, 40 stories. Actually more like the same story 40 times and then off to bed. Good times.

Thank god for bedtime and wine and blogging.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 29, 2006 2:55 amUncategorized16 comments

1. Denial said,

LMAO!! Especially cuz I’m on my third glass.

Be grateful, my kid won’t watch tv!

| May 29, 2006 @ 5:27 am

2. Mom101 said,

Especially the wine. (I had two.)

Tomorrow will be better. It generally is. And at least the June-gloom-in-May seems to have lifted, right?

| May 29, 2006 @ 5:34 am

3. Jenny said,

Amen! Except mine is margaritas. Do you have an aquarium nearby? It’s a great indoor thing that my 19 month old loves. (Or if not…look for an aquarium store.) It’ll at least buy 20 minutes of her interest.

| May 29, 2006 @ 3:16 pm

4. AngiR said,

Do you have cameras in my house or what? My son is 4 1/2 and our days are really boring too.

| May 29, 2006 @ 3:39 pm

5. sunshine scribe said,

Thank god for wine, blogging AND dora. Although my son is now old enough to play computer games. Guilt and wine. Wine and guilt :)

| May 29, 2006 @ 4:38 pm

6. jackt said,

My friend’s little brother didn’t speak until he was six. He’s talkin’ a lot nowadays as an adult though.

Don’t get me started on competitive parents and schooling. I know someone whose “friends” told him he just had to get on the wait list for some fancy pre-school if he ever hoped to get his child in. No matter his wife had just found out she was pregnant- that’s right, the child wasn’t even born yet.

| May 29, 2006 @ 6:37 pm

7. ESB said,

i know you didn’t ask, but….the aquarium is a great suggestion..or what about a walk? or a trip to the library? or a swing at the playground? or just taking her to starbucks or something?

| May 29, 2006 @ 7:42 pm

8. Neil said,

You mean you haven’t applied to colleges yet? Your child is going to fall behind!

| May 29, 2006 @ 8:23 pm

9. stephanie said,

It’s a hard age to entertain, because it’s all about you doing the entertaining. And that gets old really fast.

Maybe you should get pregnant again so at least she’ll have a sibling to entertain her when she gets older.

BWHAHAHAH :)

| May 29, 2006 @ 9:04 pm

10. Haley-O said,

I hated the mall before I had Joey. Now, I still hate the mall–because I’m still not near my pre-pregnancy weight, and the stores are full of teeny weeny clothes….BUT, I like going to the Indigo/Chapters/Borders in the mall. I get myself a Starbucks and relax with a book. The kids’ section is awesome….

| May 30, 2006 @ 2:50 am

11. Haley-O said,

I meant to say take your daughter to the kid’s section at Borders….

| May 30, 2006 @ 2:51 am

12. J's Mommy said,

Just found your blog and me likey! I was amazed at how boring it actually was in the beginning. I didn’t become a mom to sit for hours and play with Little People. I’ve got shit to do. How do you teach a toddler to play by herself anyway??

| May 31, 2006 @ 7:37 pm

13. Krisco said,

Um….I completely relate to this day.

You have GOT to find a Mom’s Club meeting or a more informal Mommy group….one with women you can relate to it…the biggest problem with “staying at home” can be the isolation. (not to mention the drudgery).

I know, I know. You’re not a joiner. Whatever. Go! Now! Find other moms like you (I SWEAR they are out there; God, I did entertainment law AND high-tech business before babies, trust me they’re THERE…) Enought ranting. Go.

| June 2, 2006 @ 6:39 am

Maybe it is time to go back to work.

| June 2, 2006 @ 8:17 pm

15. queen of wt said,

I have an 8 year old and a 12 year old. The 12 year old was taught to FAX (I swear to God) by age 2. She thought it was a fun game. When the kids were aged 7 and 3, I spent the Summer months taking them all over the U.S. with me for a TIRE EVENT for one of my clients.
    The spent weekends in parking lots full of funnel cakes and Nascar games. They LOVED it. The girls became excellent in tire sales, which has helped them really rake in dough at lemonade stands, girl scout cookies.

My girls are awesome kids. I did very little of the “normal” stuff that the “MUFFIA” moms (you call them POD moms) did. Guess what? Now that they are older, guess where all the kids want to come to play? My house.

Don’t sweat it. Most of the moms that are so enriched by toddler activities are lying anyway.

| June 4, 2006 @ 12:12 pm

16. queen of wt said,

One more thing. If you feel bad about your mothering skills (or lack of the “right” kind of skills) read from the Book of Erma. Erma Bombeck. Here is a link to a column from Erma about the PERFECT MOTHER. I have this on my home office bulletin board to remind me why I became a mom in the first place. I linked it to my blog because I could not cut and paste it in this space. Read and enjoy.

| June 4, 2006 @ 12:19 pm