Detroit, the city of crushed dreams.

Hi Everyone who matters in my life, and that mostly includes people who read my blog and satify my need for validation.

To promote Sippy Cups, I was flown to Detroit on Friday night through Sat. and flew home Sat. night. Here’s the fun part: a limo picks you up at your house (and when I say limo, I mean shiny black lincoln towncar, but let’s not quibble), offers you bottled water and plays whatever music you want to hear. Then you get to the airport where you have an e-ticket and proceed through the line to get on the plane. Of course, first you stop at the bookstore to get the latest dirt on Jessica Simpson’s divorce, but you do not under any circumstances buy the issue ’cause it will be read before take-off. Once safely aboard the plane, you commence to scare people in the seat next to you by asking if they’ve fixed the glitches on the plane you’re on. Now that you’re not making any friends, you can relax and read or drink or whatever.

Once in Chicago, I was brought to my hotel room and slept a perfect night with no baby in sight. I called home to make sure things were okay and then went out to TGIF, scarfed down some chicken wings and artichoke dip and came back to my room turned on the TV and immediately fell asleep. I HAVE A BABY FOR CHRIST’S SAKE. I’m sleep deprived.

Early the next morning I wake up to find a schedule of what time the shuttle’s picking us up, etc. I get ready pretty quick and stroll down to the lobby to maybe get there early. I’m thinking: perfume, candles, toys, etc. No such luck. Bad jewelry is what I found there. But me being a comedian I made the best of it. If it was up to them, the authors (it was me, the Mommy Wars Mom Leslie Steiner and a woman who wrote The One Armed Chef. I have to say it was a challenging situation to say the least but what they didn’t know about me is I’ve performed in front of crwowds a hundred times less attentive. Drunk, brutal, otherwise occupied audience. so I worked the crowd and eventually sold around 20 books. Honestly, not a good enough reason to send me to Detroit, but I’ve decided that travel is fun. No babies (that are yours), Much fewer bags, one change of underwear. Nuff said.

So, look for me….what am I talking about? This shit isn’t televised. But I did get a couple of good reviews. If you live in Miss. or somewhere else that I’ll think of when I’m not jet lagged.

Bye (my book)

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 8, 2006 3:07 amUncategorized6 comments

1. Mama Kelly said,

sorry that you didn’t sell more books but hopefully those you did sell will generate loads of positive word of mouth!!!

| May 8, 2006 @ 11:47 pm

2. crabbykate said,

Can’t you convince your publisher that you need to do a book tour up here in Canada???? C’mon it would be so much fun. Scarbie and I could bring flasks to your book signing and catcall at you.

| May 8, 2006 @ 11:58 pm

3. Lena said,

Limos are out – town cars are in anyway.

Well, you sold 20 more books this weekend than I did! Ha!

And you need to end every post with Bye (my book). That’s hilarious.

| May 9, 2006 @ 4:21 pm

4. Virenda said,

Well it sounds like Chicago was good if anything for the sleep. :0)

Oh and Bye (My book) is fantastic way to end your posts lol, I see 20 more bought books in your future.

| May 9, 2006 @ 5:55 pm

5. stefanierj said,

I was so psyched to be in my piddly-ass local B&N and see your book right there on the shelf without my even having to search for it.

And because I can’t help it, I checked the back inside cover. Yep, I guessed it–you’re a hottie, mama!

Yay for travel. TELL ME it’s going to be that much fun when I take my toddler on the 5-hour flight from NC to SLC. Seriously, tell me.

| May 10, 2006 @ 4:23 pm

6. surcie said,

I have that one-armed cook cookbook. I’m sad to report that I must use both arms and one leg. To cook anything. I’m beyond help.

But enough about me. What’s it been like to spend time away from the babe?

I agree with the hottie comment. I swear I’ve seen you before. I must’ve seen you do standup on TV then, no? (Believe me when I say, if I say I saw you, I saw you.)

| May 10, 2006 @ 8:43 pm