ABOUT DON\'T GET DRUNK FRIDAY PRIVACY POLICY I LOVE IT! WATCH! CLASSES ARCHIVES CONTACT SUBSCRIBE

Change

When I knew I was going to have a baby, I remember wondering to myself, "self, are you going to figure out what the babies are into these days or are you going to just buy stuff that you liked as a kid?" I thought about it and decided that I would definitely be open to new stuff that babies find appealing and I tried. I bought the Baby Einsteins and okay...maybe that's it except for Dora, which I know a lot of people hate so shut up already, I need my downtime.

Anyway, being a creature of habit and a whore for nostalgia, I already make her listen to Free To Be You and Me.

This album (okay, also now owned in CD) is the best of all time. Maybe because I listened to it so much that I can recite Carol Channing's "Housework" with the best of the Channing impersonators. Vegas, look-out. Seriously, can you listen to William Wants a Doll and not tear up just a little, teensy bit? Well that's okay cause like Rosey Grier sings, "It's All Right To Cry." I also, play the soundtrack to Really Rosie like 10 times a day, and only own the Classic Sesame Street CD with all the songs I love. And every night we read mom's favorite books: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Loveable Lyle, anything by Richard Scarry, Where the Wild Things Are, Eloise (although we're starting her with this flappy version that she is addicted to already).

I'm not sure if it's that I'm not open to new things or if it's just that I needed an excuse to hear some things I was mad mad mad for in the past. I mean, if I'm in a sushi restaurant I'm all for trying something new - provided it doesn't have eyes. And I will go to a movie that I'm not crazy to see with a little cojoling and possibly love it. When it comes to clothes I do tend to pick the same stuff over and over and the same goes for shoes. My fleet. All black and chunky.

When I was in high school and, if I'm being honest, now, I'd find a song I like and literally become addicted to it. I'd have to hear it every moment of everyday. I can vividly remember the feeling of my heart hurting when I had to go to school and lose 8 listening hours from Hall and Oates "Kiss on My List." Pretty pathetic.

Let's hope I don't pass this on to my daughter. Fuck, I'm already doing it.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on May 23, 2006 3:10 amUncategorized20 comments

1. Mom101 said,

You are me. This is my story. Including Free to Be, which I play while sobbing uncontrollably at the title song, just pining for my younger days. How I became one of those, “back in my day…” biddies I will never know.

May 23, 2006 @ 4:22 am

2. Lena said,

Ahh! I had this record! I’m going to re-buy it and the Sesame Street original soundtrack right now.

And you sound like such a good mommy – you had me all convinced you were drunk and disorderly like me. Now, I see you’re just a wonderful caring mothering LIAR. :p

May 23, 2006 @ 5:32 am

3. jackt said,

I saw an American Idol episode once where the contestants struggled with Hall and Oates songs. Gave me much more respect for them. So listen all you want theyz gotz skillz!

Fish have eyes btw. :)

May 23, 2006 @ 5:51 am

4. mommy on the verge said,

I think I’m the only kid who did not have this album. I was pretty deprived. I too, will listen to a song over, and over and over. I was doing this to an Annie Lennox song once and my then boyfriend said..’you have listened to this like, eight fu*kign times already.’ So I said, ‘then one more ain’t gonna kill ya.’

May 23, 2006 @ 6:43 am

5. crabbykate said,

Once again, our worlds collide.

I too, grew up on the FREE TO BE album. My mom was all army jackets and peasant skirts and teaching me how to raise my fist in the air. And I too, grab a hold of a song and suck it dry.

May 23, 2006 @ 1:23 pm

6. Stuntmother said,

Another Free to Be You and Me, baby, right here. My children have been listening to it since they were larval. Well, they still are larval but you know.

I shall probably do it again later with Genesis albums.

May 23, 2006 @ 3:01 pm

7. stephanie said,

Free to be is a classic, of course you should be introducing it to your daughter.

Sesame Street has the best music now too… REM singing Shiny Happy Monsters? Garth Brooks? I loves my Sesame Street.

In regards to playing a song over and over and over… yeah, I can totally relate. I used to leave my radio on at night and stay up to be able to tape all my fav’s off the radio, then I’d listen over and over until I had every lyric memorized.

Okay, I think I’ve gone on long enough :)

May 23, 2006 @ 3:15 pm

8. jess said,

I wear out the songs I love, the tv shows I love, the movies I love. I’m sure I will pass this tendency down to any children I might have.

At least we know what we like, right?

May 23, 2006 @ 3:30 pm

9. Wendy said,

This is supremely frightening. I used to listen to Free to Be You & Me for hours on end..omg HOURS..i also have quite an addictive personality ( i was known, at age 14, to play the Sally Field movie Kiss Me Goodbye for 342 days straight..don’t ask me why) and if i find a song i like, even NOW, will play it until my ears literally bleed.

Can we get a rousing chorus of William’s Doll?

May 23, 2006 @ 6:15 pm

10. Amy (binkytown) said,

I think there is something comforting about introducing it to your kids. It’s what you know of childhood.. PS I loved Really Rosie but isn’t there are a scary song where someone cries and dies and chokes on a bone? I’m a big big deal..

May 23, 2006 @ 6:24 pm

11. Ruth Dynamite said,

Our library has a decrepit copy of the video, but that hasn’t stopped me from making it required watching for my kids. I used to Love it and watched it repeatedly as a kid.

May 24, 2006 @ 2:54 am

12. IsItFridayYet? said,

Just had to say hi! I found your blog. . .and damn you if I become addicted to blogs. . . or chardonnay.:) My son is in his crib calling out for “Eeeee”. . .

May 24, 2006 @ 3:24 am

13. sweatpantsmom said,

I love ‘Free To Be You And Me.’ You know, I’ve never played it for my girls.

I’m off to Amazon to order a copy. May have to slip it onto my ten year old’s iPod between Pink and Green Day, damnit.

May 24, 2006 @ 8:43 am

14. Naomi said,

I’m a new visitor here, and this was the first post I read, and I have to comment.

See, when I first had my son, I went looking for music. And, of course, I went into my own history, and got this album!

I had the book (i wonder what ever happened to it!!) and I remember watching the movies. It brings back memories, and I hope my son will like it too!

Thanks for the reminder!

May 24, 2006 @ 12:34 pm

15. sunshine scribe said,

I love “Free to Be” and I think it is cool that you are shariing your own nostalgia with your child. And don’t kid yourself she’ll become obsessed with things and sing the same song over and over with or without your influence :)

May 24, 2006 @ 1:38 pm

16. Carrcakes said,

Tag, you’re it!

May 24, 2006 @ 3:54 pm

17. Izzy said,

I was digging through my iTunes just last night and came across “Kiss on My List” which I clearly downloaded when I was drunk or something. But I played it.

And liked it, dammit.

May 24, 2006 @ 8:51 pm

18. ESB said,

i just found your blog. good god, it’s priceless.

i’m a child of the 70s, too….”free to be you and me” and everything else you listed was a HUGE part of my childhood as well….

May 25, 2006 @ 5:48 pm

19. Teacher lady said,

I have distinct memories of my hippie mother dancing around in her purple leotard and macrame vest – to THIS album! Does this album also have that Carole King song, “I don’t care said Pierre,” or am I thinking of something else? Must. put. down. bong.

May 26, 2006 @ 3:54 pm

20. Mrs. T said,

I wore out my Free to Be Album, but still own it anyway. My kids have enjoyed it and I STILL quote “ladies first, ladies, first. So, hand over a whole mango, please.” I think I was the only one of my friends who had it, or at least had it memorized- my mom went through a serious feminist phase.Really Rosie? A favorite at our house- esp. “Pierre”. Eloise has us rolling in the aisles it’s soo funny- Nanny with her 3 pilsner beers on fight night! Madeline is also one we can recite (although it’s not quite as edgy)
    And I totally understand the music obsession- when I was 16, I listened to the Pet Shop Boys every night as I went to sleep. (“What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?”)
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I just stumbled across your blog today- good stuff!

May 30, 2006 @ 9:24 pm