What should I make for dinner tonight?

Did you ever think when you were young and your mom made dinner every night that at some point you would be planning meals and putting shopping lists on the refridgerator with Eduardo’s Tree Trimming magnets? Did you? Huh? Come on, that’s for old farts not young, vibrant women who still gossip on the phone incessently, wear black on their toenails and contemplate wearing glitter! Okay, who am I kidding? I’m not going to be wearing glitter again anytime soon but still…it saddens me that I’m old enough to “meal plan.” If that’s not a sign you’re racing up on 40’s ass I don’t know what is.

Unfortunately, unlike my mother, when I do manage to plan meals, something often comes up and I don’t cook the thing I was sure I was going to cook that happened to involve broccoli so then said broccoli lays sadly in the veggie drawer for a month until someone wonders, “what’s that smell?” That’s when I have to rethink my meal plan and throw some shit out like the chicken that expired as well.

So, I’m getting ready to go to the store and the only thing on my list is wine. That’s just a cry for help. Because of this, I’ve decided to sit my butt down and really think of what I’ll actually make for the rest of the week. But, naturally, blogging comes before FOOD SHOPPING. Let’s not be ridiculous!

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 26, 2006 9:55 pmUncategorized28 comments

1. MrsFortune said,

Yeah, blogging comes before … any number of things, including food shopping, as far as I’m concerned. Eww …what is that smell coming from MY refrigerator? Thanks for the reminder …

| April 26, 2006 @ 10:30 pm

2. Jess Riley said,

hahahaha!!!! My mom used to make weekly meal plans that ended up on the fridge! And every week was almost the same thing: spaghetti, fish sticks, pizza, hamburgers, tacos, and when she was feeling wild and sassy, chili from the crock pot. (She also used to make this weird dish called “bieroch,” which I have no idea how to spell. It was basically sauteed ground beef, cabbage, and onions stuffed in a bread dough pocket and we’d cut it in half, BUTTER THE MEAT and eat it. Oh, those wacky 1980s ethnic recipes.)

Wine is always first on my list as well. Speaking of which, time to go uncork a bottle! :)

| April 26, 2006 @ 10:48 pm

3. Lena said,

Come my way sweetie. My recipes are only for the lazy and drunk. Of which, I’m always at least one.

| April 27, 2006 @ 3:49 am

4. Lena said,

BTW, I reviewed your book on Amazon finally!

Five stars and over 20 reviews already! Go Stef.. its your birthday. We’re gonna party..like its your birthday.

| April 27, 2006 @ 3:51 am

5. Stuntmother said,

I am all about rotting broccoli. I am trying to make meal plans with limited success (though I know it works better than me standing in the kitchen at 5 at night howling, “What the hell is for supper and why do I have to cook it?!” It’s not grand enough to be Tennessee Williams and yet something the children will definitely have to work through with their therapists later. Hmmm.

| April 27, 2006 @ 1:15 pm

6. EJW said,

I meal plan and I’m only 26! I’ve been doing it for years. It makes it so less stressful to know what’s for dinner and that I have all the ingredients.

Of course, I’m also OCD, so….

| April 27, 2006 @ 4:54 pm

7. Alexa said,

Ah yes. I make elaborate meal plans, buy all of the ingredients, and then when the time comes to make dinner I am too “tired” (read: lazy) to cook and we end up getting takeout. And then we often must throw away whatever had been thawed for that night and I feel guilty. So guilty that I cannot cook the next night, either, and must once again comfort myself with takeout.

| April 27, 2006 @ 4:55 pm

8. Heather said,

My mom didn’t cook. I grew up on McDonalds and pizza rolls. But I love to cook. Mainly because I’m really picky about what I eat and I have to make sure the food is done right. We’re having stuffed bell peppers for dinner tonight! (But we had frozed pizza’s last night.)

| April 27, 2006 @ 5:51 pm

9. Heather said,

frozen – not frozed.

| April 27, 2006 @ 5:52 pm

I would rather do any number of household chores before cooking dinner. Laundry, vacuming, making the beds, scrubbing the toilet…because at least when you’ve scrubbed the toilet you have somewhere clean to set your back pocket holder, whereas after you cook, all you have is dishes.

| April 27, 2006 @ 10:10 pm

Remember the fantasy/reality page in MAD magazine?
    Last Night’s Dinner

Fantasy: Homemade lasagna that I’ve stealthily grated fresh zucchini into the ricotta cheese to make sure carboholic toddler actually eats a vegtable this month (I really had all of the ingredients!)

Reality: Celantano stuffed shells slightly burned but still mushy in the middle son refuses eat

| April 28, 2006 @ 1:13 am

12. Mom101 said,

I always say I’m the Jewish Martha Stewart. I know any place to call to deliver whatever it is I need.

| April 28, 2006 @ 2:50 am

13. scarbie doll said,

I feel ya dawg. I totally feels you (she says as she pulls out something that once resembled a tomato from her crisper.)

| April 28, 2006 @ 3:06 pm

14. willowfae said,

My husband does the cooking (don’t hate me) but I make the meal plans & grocery shop. Sometimes I throw something in there that I know no one wants to eat so that he will decide we need takeout that night. Is that manipulative? Yeah, but I don’t care.

| April 29, 2006 @ 4:24 am

15. stefanierj said,

I feel you on this. I honestly felt I would throw up my toenails if I ever again heard the phrase “what do you want for dinner?” (I know, I shouldn’t bitch about a man who loves to cook, but I am decision-making challenged since I spawned my son).

Enter LeeAnn Ely (savingdinner.com)and her books. She is aaaawesome. She tells you what you’re going to eat for the week, and then she makes you a GROCERY LIST, dude. Divided up by section of store (ie, dairy, meat case, etc.), which is just balm for my inner OCD. Of course, the thing is that I usually forget the one freaking ingredient I need for some dish so we end up with takeout at least once, but one out of seven isn’t bad compared to our old track record.

| May 1, 2006 @ 3:10 am

16. Izzy said,

Food shopping? Dinner planning? Cooking? These things make me wince and squirm with discomfort. The very bane of my existence. I’d change shitty diapers all day if I didn’t have to do any of those.

Oh wait. I DO change shitty diapers all day.

So why the hell am I still planning, shopping and cooking?

| May 7, 2006 @ 5:10 pm

17. Blue said,

I thought you’d be amused that tonight, I went to my kitchen, looked in the fridge, opend the pantry, was at a loss about what to make for dinner. So, my brilliant mind said to myself, “why not google the phrase ‘what should i make for dinner tonight?’, and see what someone suggested.

Your blog was the #1 hit for that phrase! So congratulations. I still don’t know what to make for dinner tonight, but I got to check out your blog. :-)

| September 20, 2006 @ 10:57 pm

18. sharon said,

Wholy Fuck!!! Me too!! I was so stressed from work that I didn’t want to feed myself and nothing and I mean nothing sounds good. At this point I would be happier with a bag of brand x food product, just put it in and get it over with. SO… I started looking for take out on line and found nothing.

Then! Then! I googled, “What should I eat for Dinner?” Ahhhh. Now I’m happy. Still hungry… but happy.

| February 3, 2007 @ 5:35 am

LOL…I’m loving this blog. I didn’t think anything would actually come up when I google’d what should I cook for dinner tonight. Reading this has not helped me for dinner, but it sure as hell made me laugh.

| November 3, 2008 @ 10:21 pm

I’m trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight so like a lot of people I Googled it. We are so sick of eating the same things over and over so I thought maybe I should list what we ate the last few meals and see if any of you have suggestions. By the way we love to cook and grill out in even in the snow (it makes the neighbors mouths water)!

Sunday – Packer Game – steak sandwiches and jalopeno poppers (grilled) – spaghetti (canned) when we got home.

Monday – Hotwings (grilled)

Tuesday – Hamburger Helper

Wendsday – Homemade chicken potpie

Thursday – Mac and cheese w/hotdogs followed by munchies

Tonight – Any suggestions??????

Tommorrow – Short Ribs

Sunday – Ham dinner w/ all the trimmings

| November 21, 2008 @ 7:35 pm

21. Mari said,

Pretty funny…I also googled “What Should I make for dinner tonight” and stumbled on this blog. Still don’t know what to make – but, am reminded I need more wine…

As usual.

| January 14, 2009 @ 7:52 pm

22. Corynder said,

Hehe! I too googled ‘What should I make for dinner’. Still clueless but glad to see others got as frustrated as I did!

Mmm. Maybe mac and cheese with parprika. Or …pizza. ordered.

| February 28, 2009 @ 7:53 am

23. Kirsten said,

Good God! I’m so glad I’m not the only nut. Like many of you I stumbled across this blog when I googled “what should I make for dinner tonight?”. Definitely more entertaining than it was helpful but then again you could describe 75% of the websites online this way.

Okay gotta go…I still don’t know what to make for dinner. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I don’t think beans and weenies are gonna cut it.

| March 3, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

Yeah, I also googled “What should I make for dinner tonight?” How sad is that? I was hoping that a magic Google God would pop up with a single search result that said “spaghetti”. (Like we didn’t already eat that way too many times.)

| March 29, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

25. Callista Cassady said,

I'm another half joking, half desperate Googler. Husband is no help. "I'm good with whatever you make!" …. Rawr.

| July 15, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

26. Em said,

I googled the same thing! Still dont know what im going to cook, but at least I feel less guilty about it!

| July 18, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

27. Faiza Ather said,

so that is exactly what I googled today since hubby dear is no help in giving ideas and here I am running into other women with similar domestic problems! :) Its amazing how women from all cultures have similar issues! And yes I'm still wondering what to make tongight!

| August 19, 2009 @ 11:29 am

28. deb said,

this site is hilarious, there are so many of us out there that struggle with the same thing. I definitely feel better knowing Im not alone. Deciding what to make is sooo much worse than making. I am out of ideas and tired of the same old thing. thanks for the support

| November 18, 2009 @ 10:18 pm