eminem cuttin’ the ladies loose

Can anyone believe that Eminem, or Marshall Mathers or Slim Shady or Mr. Shady if you’re nasty (is that even funny anymore or are younger readers like WHAT?) cut his wife loose of a mere three months. The wife and mother of his child that he wrote songs about wanting to decapitate her. I mean, who wouldn’t want to get back with your ex-husband baby daddy when he’s writing you poetic stream of consciousness rap/romance like that? She’s not made of granite, right? But, at the same time you have to know that it didn’t work the first time and you have a child so maybe…possibly not the best idea to retie the knot. On the other hand, he does have money. BUT HE’S CRAZY and not just because he didn’t get the Triumph the Insult Dog comic at the MTV awards a few years ago. I mean, really, are you going to start a fight with a puppet? Did you use a little too much bleach in your hair and the chemicals leaked in?

But okay, he’s a little serious. Maybe Kim likes that in a man. Maybe she likes his deep thinking, possible serial killer, always downcast paranoid outlook on life. Maybe she’s put in all her stats in the EHarmony website and it always comes out the big EM. But if that’s the case, why the three months? WHY THE THREE MONTHS? Three months is nothing. Three months is less than a season of Surreal Life. Couldn’t you make it through a season of Surreal Life and stay together?

I know I’ll never figure it out but I always wonder what makes people tick. What makes people tough out the more challenging times and what makes people break. Obviously mental illness plays a part (Em) but in typical marriages. Of course there’s cheating, fighting, money blah blah blah but other than big things, I want to know what makes someone break and decide they just can’t do it. Especially when it’s people you would never expect.

I love my husband more than anything. Yes I love my baby so I don’t need the Ayalet Waldman bashers getting all over my shit, but is it because my husband is so steady that it’s not dramatic? Is it that he just “gets me?” Is it that we can talk about anything that’s bothering either of us but as often as we can we let shit go? Is it that he is willing to put up with depression or anxiety or bad moods for long periods of time (yes he expects me to address it but would never leave over it) – that makes me hope we’ll be one of the 50% that make it work?

What do you think?

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on April 14, 2006 4:10 amUncategorized10 comments

1. kim said,

For me knowing that if I can’t make it work with someone I love more than life (or at least chardonnay and coffee)than how the hell could I make it work with anyone else? No one else would put up with my neurotic drama queen personality (not to mention the other personalities that escape from time to time)and no one else would think he’s as funny as I do, even when the jokes on me. So for us divorce is not an option, murder maybe,but not divorce.

| April 14, 2006 @ 1:51 pm

2. MrsFortune said,

I think that none of us should compare our relationships to Marshall and Kim! Unless we’re Tom and Katie or Brangelina, I guess. But I tend to think that lack of drama is quite the positive thing.

| April 14, 2006 @ 3:42 pm

3. Heather said,

There’s a lot of things that inspire me to work hard on my marriage. My husband took me in when I was living out of my car. He stood by me when I needed someone the most. He has seen me at my worst (and at my best). He has helped me fight depression.

We inspire each other. He’s worth the work.

(Wow, how cheesy was that!) Oh, and yes, the “Mr. Shady if you’re nasty” joke worked!

| April 14, 2006 @ 4:23 pm

4. Izzy said,

Your hub sounds like a keeper. So’s mine. Count your blessings.

Now, onto more important things…

I’ve moved. Stop fixating on Eminem and update your blogroll.

| April 14, 2006 @ 4:35 pm

5. Old Lush said,

Yes, I think that’s what it is…what you stated about you and your husband.

I think so many get swept up in fantasies and forget (temporarily while commiting to get married?..I don’t know?) that life is difficult and full of all types of ups and downs. You have to ride through depression, arguments, long work hours, child rearing…and trust that your partner loves you enough to make it through the other end if your going through a tough patch.

It’s sad. I think so many marriages (and they don’t have to be celebrities) have one partner that can’t make it because something changes when a crisis (depression, for example) or major event happens (child born, for example) because things get shaken up for a long while.

It’s those that can adapt and love each other that last.

| April 14, 2006 @ 6:11 pm

6. willowfae said,

My husband and I survived infidelity (mine), unemployment (his) and weight gain (both). I don’t think anything is going to make us give up on each other.

| April 15, 2006 @ 1:14 am

7. Jenée said,

10 bucks says Stefanie is in divorce court within a year.

Any takers?

| April 15, 2006 @ 1:26 pm

8. Denial said,

This is probably just a publicity stunt!

Marriage is work as is being a mom. But in the end it’s well worth it!

| April 15, 2006 @ 2:17 pm

9. akeeyu said,

Sam and I went to a wedding the other day, and after listening to the officiant (and the guests reading designated bible passages and poetry…bleah) blather on and on about love for far longer than is palatable, we went home and had ourselves a good laugh.

“‘Marriage is about being in love for the rest of your life’?” I snickered. “Look, I hope this doesn’t come as a big shock, but I am not in love with you every day, Sam.”

“Hey, some days I don’t even LIKE you that much,” Sam said.

“Marriage isn’t about love. Marriage is about finding someone whose crap you can put up with, who can also put up with your crap.”

“Agreed.”

| April 16, 2006 @ 11:14 pm

10. azureavian said,

i thought it was hilarious. =)

| April 23, 2008 @ 5:17 am