Nerd Alert

So I was in the bathroom getting the bath ready for my kid when I heard from the television in the bedroom that my husband always leaves on for some reason, a really beautiful song. There was something about it, it just pulled me in. I immediately went into the bedroom to see what was going on and I was greeted with the credit bed from a movie that had just ended. When I pressed the info button I found it was a movie called “Wedding Date” one that came and went with Debra Messing (who doesn’t annoy me as much as she seems to annoy other people and maybe that’s because she stayed curvy after her baby) about some stupid plotline where a woman takes an escort to a wedding so it looks like she has a date. Blah blah blah I’d obviously never seen it. I refuse to see movies that stupid. But I had to wait through the credits to see what the fucking song was. I’m very obsessive that way.

I knew I’d have to hear this song again right away and I was ready to download it if I could just get the name and artist. So I sit through like 17 hours of credits. Do they really have to list the person who scanned the graphics for the title? And there really needs to be a cut off for “special thanks.” Really, I can’t spend a full 5 minutes reading about every single person who I don’t know that made a difference to your movie making experience. Send them a fucking gift basket and let’s move on. ANYWAY, they finally get to the music credits which I don’t think should be last. Note to Studios — music is important – more important that 2nd assistant grip gaffer boy or whatever.

Finally we get to the credit I’m waiting for and the song is by Michael Buble. I get the creeps just writing that name. I’m horrified. I see his CD in Starbucks and other places that make me not even want to look at it. I mean, come on, the name alone is annoying. BUBLE with the french thingy over the last E. Stop it! I always assumed he was some wussy balladeer like Josh Groban only older. Not interested in that shit. But shoot me cause this song speaks to me in a Dan Fogelberg, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, nerdy folky kind of way. I can’t help but be a total nerd.

It’s called “Home” and it immediately made me start thinking about what home is to me. I’ve been having some issues with my parents. Issues that having gone away since I was a little girl. I have made a new family – one that I would lay myself in front of a Chevy Expedition for. And I have a brother and sister in law who rock like Dokken but still…why can’t I stop longing for the parental relationship that will never be? I know this isn’t the right forum to air these issues but we all have something like it right? I just feel lonely when I think about how I wish things could/could’ve/should’ve been.

So in conclusion, if you have any of the issues I have, and you have a soft spot for some seriously cheesy music, you may cry. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just sappier than I let on.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on March 26, 2006 3:45 amUncategorized14 comments

1. Jenée said,

You got a problem with French thingies over the e, Miss Stephanie with an f?

| March 27, 2006 @ 3:37 am

2. Lena said,

I’ve heard this song and it is beautiful.

Ooooh, the parents. Stefanie, this is the right forum. Because it is your forum. I too never had the relationship with my dad or the home life I know now I needed so badly. The saddest part is that it seems to get harder to accept this as we get older and become parents.

Love this post. Very honest. And I’m OCD like that too – I must watch the credits to see who “that one guy in the background was because I’m sure its the same guy in…”

| March 27, 2006 @ 5:24 am

3. Krisco said,

I agree with Lena. (Dang! She stole my point!) This is the perfect place to air those grievances. Er, I mean, share your honesty.

I guess we all have things from our childhood, and some sadnesses, and their consequences, can hang on for a long time.

Thanks for bringing it up. That’s what we like about the blog deal.

| March 27, 2006 @ 6:06 am

4. sweatpantsmom said,

I had a similar experience last week, as I absentmindedly hummed and then eventually began singing along to a song on the radio.

It was then my daughters pointed out that it was Jessie McCartney.

Who they call Jessie McFartney.

Sad, when your musical tastes disgust even your seven and nine year olds.

| March 27, 2006 @ 8:33 am

5. Jess Riley said,

You have such a way with words. And I so know what you mean about craving that strong parent connection. Especially when it’s not as strong as we’d like. And Lena’s right: this forum is a fine place to share whatever you’d like to.

(I always sit through credits to find out what certain songs in the movie are, too.)

| March 27, 2006 @ 4:24 pm

6. surcie said,

Buble? Bleh! I can’t help feeling that way.

“rock like Dokken” –LOVE this analogy.

Me? I’d like to “rock like Def Leppard.”

| March 27, 2006 @ 7:04 pm

7. Alexa said,

I am nodding in sad agreement about the parental-relationship-wistfulness.
    But more importantly, I have a shocking confession to make: I don’t own any Michael Buble CDs, but I once went to a Michael Buble concert. I know! But it was with my aunt, and it was a free ticket (her friend couldn’t go at the last minute), and I totally planned on going purely to mock the night away. But it was actually a really good concert. Oh god, I can’t believe I just told you that.

| March 27, 2006 @ 9:00 pm

8. scarbie doll said,

I am also a closet Buble liker. I’ve never bought his albums, but I did find myself searching the radio for that “Home” song to come on. It’s apparently the first song he wrote himself (he usually covers standards). It’s not an awesome song, but if you’re leaving someone you love, it drills right through the heart.

Good luck on your trip.

| March 28, 2006 @ 1:20 am

9. Schietto Sister said,

I’m telling you, that whole Buble CD is great. Most of the other songs are “Sinatraesque.” MB is a guilty pleasure.
    As for the family, I believe any thinking person has similar issues. Obviously, some family situations are truly awful and create overwhelming super-issues. As a parent it’s difficult to have to rehash those feelings, but you also get a do-over. You can resolve some of your issues from when you were young, by parenting your daughter! It sure doesn’t make those moments of “what should’ve been” any easier, though. I am glad you have a new family that rocks!

| March 28, 2006 @ 11:43 am

LOL Just have to laugh at your chevy expedition…..silly, did you mean Ford Expedition. Now you got me wondering how that song went. Could you post a link?

Thanks,

Kim

| March 30, 2006 @ 9:30 pm

11. Amber said,

Basically, any sappy song makes me weep these days. Of course, those pregnancy hormones may have something to do with it.
    Love your site; linked to it from another’s and I’m sad I didn’t catch your television interview today. It’s so “Amazing” to find another mom out there who’s got a sense of humor about the whole thing… :-)

| March 30, 2006 @ 11:46 pm

12. Nicole said,

Hi Stephanie,

First of all, I thank you for writing your recent book, because it’s the best laugh I’ve had since my baby was born five months ago. I don’t like the language and some of the sexual humor, but you are so hilarious and right-on that I still recommend the book. I’m going straight to Amazon after this :-).

Second, I’ve already raised my voice to my baby…it happens. She is advanced for her age…she’s learned to throw temper tantrums that people have been kind enough to point out are typical of a two year old, not a five month old. Her favorite thing to do is SCREAM, not cry, while her face turns red. Most of the time she’s really happy, but once in a while she has a temper-tantrum that lasts all day long.

The parent thing. Well, I’ve had my issues with mine (though they’re better than most), and I think if most ppl are honest, they don’t have a Walton’s mountain thing going on in their family (and who would want to????!). My husband’s parents usually act civil, and they pretend that they have a normal family. However, they have yet to come see our daughter. They are talking about “maybe coming at the end of May,” and maybe not. They don’t like to drive in the cold, you know (though it’s a 8-hour trip, they are retired and have a new van that I’m pretty sure has HEAT!), and they can’t come during tax season, ya know…so busy. (No, they are not accountants.) The only solace my husband finds is in the fact that they are the same way with all of their grandkids, even the one who lives 45 minutes away. They dropped by her birthday party one year–which was a big surprise–and when she was told to give grandma a hug, she ran to someone else by mistake (she was four), because she never sees her grandparents.

Yes, I love that song, “Home,” too. It made me cry when I was pregnant. What’s your excuse?? Just kidding, you explained that already :-).

Lastly, I really appreciated the comments and honesty in your book, especially about breastfeeding and depression. I was going to write a book just like yours, but you beat me to it. I would be angry, except that you’re a professional writer, and plus, living in LA, you probably need the money ;-).

Seriously, thanks for your book :-).

| April 5, 2006 @ 3:23 pm

13. Melodious said,

Count me among those grateful that you’ve shared this snippet from your past, if for no other reason than it made me feel that I’m not as alone as I once thought in my lack of a father-daughter relationship.

My dad & I pretty much get along ok now – but there are still those times that I wish we’d been closer when I was younger. Like when I need to buy him a card & the sentiments expressed on the “dad” cards just don’t say the right things, etc. That always makes me a little sad. Why DO we continue to wish for something that’s obviously long gone??

Oh – and “rock like Dokken” – cracked me up. This is my first time reading your blog – definitely not my last.

| April 5, 2006 @ 6:28 pm