And Still More

Husband’s still out of town and I spend last night in the ER. I know what you’re thinking “sounds funny so far but where’s this going?” On my last post we leave off with baby having fever of 102 in the a.m. She refused and food or drink during the day and was hot and trembly. Being a first time mom that is just to hard to watch without calling the pediatrician for guidance. A pleasant sounding on call nurse told me it was best to bring her on in to Urgent Care if just for peace of mind. In Urgent Care, she was looked at, weighed, deemed to not be dehydrated and mama and baby were sent home with intructions to give Tylenol every four hours (really? Ya think?). I asked “what if she won’t eat or drink anything?” and I was told not to worry about it. She’d drink when she felt like it. Or I could try to give her droppers full of water just to wet her mouth. So we went home. I think I foreshadowed where this is headed.

A few hours later, she was tired and still hot even with the tylenol in her and I finally was able to get her to take a few ounce of milk. She really wasn’t into it but given the comfort of the bottle managed to drink a bit. I put her to bed and a half hour later got a creepy feeling. You know the one? The one where you just know somethin’ ain’t right? I go into her room and she’s moaning and trying to sit up so I scooped her out of her crib and she immediately puked all over both of us. Then the poor little bug was trembling and shaking in my arms and well, just didn’t look so hot. But she felt extremely hot. So back to the phone to call the on call emergency doc. He called back and told me to bring her to the ER.

Can we talk about the ER? It’s not like on the TV show. At all. It’s more like going to the DMV if you were scared and crying. Which come to think of it, have you ever gotten out of the DMV without shedding a few tears? The intake person had the personality of a meter maid. Do these people ever make eye contact or are they afraid they might have to be human if they looked at your worried face?

Intake Lady handed me a butt load of paperwork and told me I’d have to wait my turn with the 50 or so “non emergency looking” folks in the waiting room. Meanwhile the emergency on call doc had said if I don’t call an ambulance he’d call ahead and make sure I didn’t have to wait. But like every DMV clerk worth their salt when I mentioned this she waved around the room and said “all these people are waiting too.” So we sat. But luckily, my husband who was calling ever five seconds from Virginia doesn’t suffer fools and called the on call doctor who called the hospital who got us called in quickly.

We’re led into the first room where we’re greeted non verbally and again with no eye contact by a humorless Santa Claus looking man who only says “strip the baby down to a diaper.” He then takes her temp and reports that she’s 99 degrees. There was no fucking way my kid only had a temp of 99. Seriously, not a fucking chance. And this asshole works at a hospital. So I said, “I really think her fever is higher than that. Can you check again?” He says “That’s her temp. But if you want you can have the nurse take it again when I send you back.”

Ten minutes later I’m led back to a curtained alcove and the nurse comes back looking irritated as all get out and says “So, you wanted her temp taken again?” As if she was saying “What do you want me to change her damn diapers too?” I said “I think she’s way hotter than 99. feel her forehead.” She says “I’m wearing gloves” and proceeds to take her temp again. Which turns out to be 103.

I’ll spare you all the details of having your baby daughter held down and an IV being put in her arm (taking two tries due to dehydration) but I will tell you that she cried for hours and finally slept on my chest until we were ready to leave.

Poor thing still has fever now but is sleeping.

Posted by Stefanie Wilder Taylor on February 12, 2006 6:22 pmUncategorized8 comments

1. Jess Riley said,

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about this! That ER experience sounds terrible. Hope your little girl is feeling better soon…

| February 13, 2006 @ 1:04 am

2. Misfit Hausfrau said,

Oh My God. What a horrible few days for you and your little one. I really wish medical professionals would cut the attitude and be more embracing of a parent’s intuition. Why the hell are they in the medical field if they are incapable of being human?!?

I can tell you from experience that there is nothing worse than being alone with a REALLY SICK baby. My husband almost fainted from the vomitting the last time one of our darlings was sick, but I was still able to bark out orders. It sucks when it’s just you.

Get some rest.

| February 13, 2006 @ 1:46 am

3. IzzyMom said,

So sorry you both had to go through that. Hope she’s feeling better now. You definitely can’t mess around with dehydration. My sister almost died from it. You did the right thing insisting they take her temp
    again.

Isn’t ironic that the emergency room feels like the worst fucking possible place to be when you or a loved on are really sick? It’s like they resent you for coming there or something. Assholes.

| February 13, 2006 @ 6:21 am

4. Alexa said,

Yes, I decided long ago that the next time I need to go to the ER for anything I will cut off one of my fingers for good measure. Perhaps then I won’t have to wait 3 hours to see a doctor. Fresh blood is the only thing that gets any attention.
    I am truly sorry you had such a dreadful time of it. I hope your little girl is feeling a bit better. And that you are too, of course.

| February 13, 2006 @ 3:35 pm

5. Heatheranne said,

I swear people are so rude anymore. I work in an orthodontist office where people wait up to an hour to be seen. I get yelled at all day long by people who don’t want to wait, but I’m never rude back to them. I certainly can’t imagine being that rude to a worried mother in an ER.

I’m sorry you had to go through that. It’s so hard when your child is sick. You feel so helpless. I hate that feeling. Even last year when my son was 11, he had a horrible headache really late on a Friday night so I took him to the ER since nothing was helping. He was in tears from the pain and shivering from fear of the ER. I felt so bad for him because I couldn’t do anything to take it away.

| February 13, 2006 @ 9:47 pm

6. chris said,

I’m so sorry. There’s reallynothing worse than when your child is sick and you’re scared. Dman hospital people. Do they take out their empathy when they go to medical school?

| February 14, 2006 @ 1:32 am

7. surcie said,

You poor thing. And that Santa doc–what a dolt. I hope she’s better soon.

| February 14, 2006 @ 8:37 pm

8. The Lioness said,

Oh the poor baby! Must fread on, imagine she’s fine by now but little ones suffering, whatever their species, is just too much for me.

| February 16, 2006 @ 10:28 pm